First Explosion- and boy was it big.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kingclay

Reaction score
Had my first exploding bottle last night. It was a lager which had been in the bottle for at least 12 weeks- strange you may say, why would a bottle explode after 12 weeks? Wouldn't it explode as the CO2 was produced, say after 2 weeks if it was going to blow?

The bottle was wrapped in a broadsheet newspaper with several effective layers due to being rolled up, the glass made short work of this and managed to get half way down my hall-way, massive bang etc. Hope the others don't go bang.

The bottles weren't overprimed and fermentation was finished prior to bottling, so must have been a defect in the bottle. The rest of the batch is underprimed if anything. Maybe my brewbuddy increased the priming on that bottle to have a laugh- who knows!

Thoughts please.

Hi Kingclay, sorry to hear about the exploding bottle, not good! It's very strange that a bottle would blow after 12 weeks. Was it stored somewhere cool so conditioning was slow ?
The only other thing I can think of is the warmer weather which seems unlikely, or possibly an infected bottle. Yeast become semi dormant due to rising alcohol and gas levels, amongst other things, when conditioning, but bacteria can continue to thrive in these conditions.

I'm moving this topic to 'brewing discussions' as it's more appropriate :thumb:

Latest posts

Back