First Cider Kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davy6Mac

Reaction score
Hi folks,
I have just done my first ever batch of cider, it was a kit by Mangrove Jacks called NZ premium cider.
Was just enquiring as to whether once fermentation is complete do I need to cold crash before bottling/kegging as I do with my all grain beer brews.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Did you end up cold crashing it? I'm just about to add the flavouring myself and I'm wondering if I should follow the instructions to let it sit for 24 hours for the trub to drop out before cold crashing? Surely that's the point of doing it anyway and the flavour will be all mixed in as well.

kit cider i don't bother with cold crash as generally its pretty clear I do leave it for 2 weeks in the FV before i touch check SG and it will normally finished by then check next day if same then I rack into another FV bucket add the priming sugar and any flavourings, this helps to ensure flavouring and priming sugar is well mixed evenly. I have tap and bottle wand as find that easier and leaves the right head space.
Leave the bottles at room temp for 2 weeks if using PET easy to check
The move to storage in garage or shed or your place of choice leave for at least 2 weeks, but 4 is better generally the longer you leave it the more it will develop, i found my first kit i tried too early tasted watery and thin, needed a touch of sweetener then the depth and taste came on massively, fast forward a few months that same cider has loads more flavour does not need any sweeteners and tastes way better all round.

i know kits say you can drink right away but try and leave some see if you notice the difference.

if you like it then look up the turbo cider from supermarket juices, they can be very good and loads of options

That's exactly how I used to do it when I was bottling it and before I had my fermentation fridge. I don't think it will make much difference to cold crash but I was just wondering how others are doing it.

This seems to be done after 6 days (ignore the OG & FG figures) but I'll definitely leave it for another while. I'm amazed it chewed through it so quick.
1000002899.png

When making real cider, tradition says it won't be ready until 12th night (wassailing)
And from my limited experience, not until April (so 6 months)
If you prefer clear turbo cider, then you could add a little pectolytic enzyme.

Latest posts

Back