First brew.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geoff Norwich

Reaction score
Finally got round to starting the brewing kit me ma got me for Christmas.
Slack I know but Tiny flat with no space and a very inquisitive seven year old does not a happy brew make.

Got another on the way in July so have now moved to a three bed house and as luck would have it there is a 15x15ft shed with lighting power and heating at the end of the garden. I claimed this as my man cave and my SWMBO (not sure what the letters mean yet) said OK.

but I digress, as I was saying my first beer kit - Woodfordes Norfolk NOG.
Started fermentation on 9th June. Checked the next day and the thermometer was at 26 so following the advie of the forum stuck it in the bath and cooled it off then moved it to shed where it sat nicely at 21. so far so good.
first gravity reading of 1.01 on the 12th and a second reading of 1.01 on the 16th.
true to tradition I tasted each sample and I can already taste the beginnings of the beer it will be.
Primed with Muntons medium Malt and Kegged today.
Now for some impatient waiting
Should I vent the cap on the pressure barrel as I've seen some do to release the oxygen and leave CO2 or just leave it for a good month. With luck it will be ready just after the babies born.

I plan on doing a porter next as its my favourite type of ale. any suggestions for a good kit. Festival perhaps.
once we've unpacked fully and I've decked out the shed with relevant racking I plan on moving to AG but at the moment Kits are my limit.

I want to thank you guys here for answering any questions I've had without the usual forum keyboard warrior statements like THERE IS A SEARCH FUNCTION USE IT or such like. Youve been very helpfull.

regards
Geoff

Geoff Norwich said:
Finally got round to starting the brewing kit me ma got me for Christmas.
Nice one!

Geoff Norwich said:
Got another on the way in July
Nice one! (and congratulations!)

Geoff Norwich said:
so have now moved to a three bed house
Nice one!

Geoff Norwich said:
and as luck would have it there is a 15x15ft shed with lighting power and heating at the end of the garden
Nice one!

You're on a bit of a roll aren't you!?!? :lol:

Geoff Norwich said:
Should I vent the cap on the pressure barrel as I've seen some do to release the oxygen and leave CO2 or just leave it for a good month.
Just leave it. If you racked to your keg and primed it, the yeast would go through a small growth phase where they would have gobbled up all the oxygen, there shouldn't be any left. Purging if you have a cylinder is worthwhile but I reckon if naturally carbonating it's better just to leave it.

Geoff Norwich said:
I plan on doing a porter next as its my favourite type of ale. any suggestions for a good kit. Festival perhaps.
I recommend this VERY highly, it's a cracking pint.

Geoff Norwich said:
once we've unpacked fully and I've decked out the shed with relevant racking I plan on moving to AG
Or you could buy the pots and use what will be your boiler to go BIAB for now in your nicely expanded kitchen - that's where I am at the moment (I've been in the new house 9 months and the shed is still just storage...) and the beer is a BIG step up in quality.

Geoff Norwich said:
I want to thank you guys here for answering any questions I've had without the usual forum keyboard warrior statements like THERE IS A SEARCH FUNCTION USE IT or such like. Youve been very helpfull.
You're very welcome. It's just because we're all beer geeks and like to talk about beer... :thumb:

Geoff Norwich said:
SWMBO (not sure what the letters mean yet) said OK.

Any acronym you come across you're not sure about there is a link to the glossary in the top left of the page and SWMBO is in there, I'll not spoil it for you.

Good to hear you've got yourself a nice brew space :thumb:

Thank you for not spoiling it.

Its too true. She is my swmbo. especially with 8 months of pregnancy hormones.

Latest posts

Back