first brew with wilkinson apple cider

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sniffer91

Reaction score
Hi. I'm James ive just started my first ever cider brew from wilkison. I was jus wondering how long it would take to start fermenting its only been a few hours but am yet to see any bubbles in the airlock. The wine started almost straight away. May be a silly question jut want to make sure all is good thanks. :hat: of

There's a different forum somewhere for cider... but anyway I wouldn't panic until at least 24 hours has passed.

Don't do kits but do a lot of TurboCider - generally I see the yeast rise to the top after a few hours, then it slowly starts to fill the brew, making it more opaque, then it starts forming a crust after anything from 12 to 24 hours. If it's in a bucket you may never get bubbles in the lock, as the lids rarely seal perfectly.
If it's not obvious that /something/ is happening after a full 24 hours, then worry. With a kit you may not get a crust but there should be visible signs.

I couldn't find the cider area on here. Well I didn't really look lol. There is a foam forming on the top now so something is happening. Cheers for the reply guys.

Hey guys. Back again lol. My cider has been fermenting now for 14 days and according to thehhydrometer its still not yet done. It is making progress. I thought 4 to 6 days was all it took. Any body have any advice on this. Thanks a lot.

It will take much longer than the kit says, you should be looking at weeks if not months until you are drinking it.

Give it plenty of time to finish, then drop clear.. And then a good bit longer before bottling. Once bottled it'll take a week or two to carbonate in the warm and a week or two in the cold until you can drink it.

I'm sure this wasn't the news you where after, but it'll be better after all that time.

Cider is often aged for 6-12 months before drinking to let the flavour develop ;)

Latest posts

Back