First Biab

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So Sunday was a good day as I finally found some time to mess around my 2nd hand peco boiler. This was going to be a SMASH brew but I added some random stuff to my shopping trolley and and it got a bit more complex. So it ended up slightly more complex then originally planned and sits in a sort of American IPA sort of style I guess.

Batch size planned for about 11 litres.

Fermentables
3kg Maris Otter
0.25kg Aromatic Malt
0.25kg Torrefied Wheat

Hop Additions
12g Challenger - 60 mins
12g Citra - 20 mins
12g Citra - Dry Hop

Other addtions
Campden Tablet - pre mash
0.5 protofloc tablet - 15 mins

ag1.jpg

Gathered 20 litres of water and stirred in a campden tablet before heating the water to 74c.

While this was happening I measured out malts and clipped the bag inside the mashing bin and wrapped a big sleeping bag round the mashing bin.

Once I'd hit strike temp, I cut the power and started to add the malt, stirring in and breaking up clumps with a wooden spoon as I went. The temperature dropped to 67c as planned

I stirred this and checked the temp every 10-15 mins for the next hour, heating slightly to maintain the 67c where necessary.

ag3.jpg

After the hour was up took a quick gravity reading (adjusting for temp) and got 1.048 which was better then I expected. I turned the heat on and brought it up 76c and then lifted the bag out and set it above the wort in a big pasta strainer. I gently squeezed this as I brought the temp up and let it drain.

I ended up with about 18 litres of pre-boil wort.

Once it was boiling I added 12g Challenger and set the timer, then added 12g citra with 20 mins to go and added protofloc 5 mins after that.

I added the immersion cooler with 10 mins to go and then at flameout started cooling it down to about 24c

I ended up with about 12-13 lites in the FV and a O.G of 1.052 which I am happy with, I was expecting 11 litres at 1.060 so having done the match if I'd boiled off the extra two litres I'd have hit target.

I'll dry hop 12g of Citra at the end of primary, cold crash it and fine with gelatine before kegging.

Very pleased with myself for doing a "proper" brew.

Latest posts

Back