finings and hazy beers

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Brewing a West Coast IPA tomorrow and it looks like its a hazy beer though no rye, wheat or oats in the grain bill. I've run out of Protafloc tabs and cant find anywhere that does them on next day delivery so will have to go withoutht. I've read that there is no point adding finings to hazy beers but is that the case? I'd normally add protafloc as I thought the stuff that makes beers hazy is not necessarily solid debris in suspension, but more on the stuff that is extracted out of the grains, so are finings really to remove solid hop and trub matter out of suspension?
I'll cold crash the living daylights our of the beer anyway so hopefully that'll get rid of any solid matter out of the beer, but do people generally add finings to hazy beers anyway?

Thanks.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Protafloc-...ld=1&keywords=protafloc&qid=1627298753&sr=8-2
Not the cheapest, but one day delivery on amazon prime.

As I understand it - finings etc used in the boil will help to remove undesirable proteins in the wort. Finings in the fermenter will do this + help the yeast drop out of suspension. In hazy beers, the haze is generally yeast in suspension (as opposed to hops or protein), so you wouldn't want to go adding finings after adding yeast.

I generally dont add protofloc or finings of any type unless i'm trying to get a lager to clear super quick/bottling it. A good amount of time in cold storage will drop everything out anyway.

G

Latest posts

Back