Festival - summer glory advice

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shd

Reaction score
Hi again all
I’m after a little advice regarding a festival summer glory brew that I kicked off on Sunday

It says after five days to add the contents of the Hop pellet sachet, but not to stir and then to leave for a further five days before bottling, obviously after checking the fermentation has stopped

So :

1 - I know we’re only talking about an extra few days but typically the approach if a brew says it’s ready to bottle in 4 to 6 days is to actually leave it two weeks
Would this be the advice for this particular brew also based on the instructions and timings I’ve mentioned above ?

2 - the adding of the pellets…. I’ve always read and understood the introduction of oxygen can affect the brewing process. Can anyone confirm please that taking the lid off won’t affect the brew ?

3 - The instructions then imply I should siphon into a separate barrel and at the priming sugar and then leave for a further 14 days. Is this correct or can I bottle at this stage like I normally would?

I’ve had a couple of photos showing the instructions

If anybody could confirm, please, it would be much appreciated
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 0
I'd always take the instructions on a kit as recommendations rather than strict rules to follow - there are a lot of variables that can impact the duration of the fermentation process and you will need to adapt accordingly to get the best end result.

Answering your questions:

1. If you have a healthy fermentation, then there is no reason why it couldn't be complete and ready for bottling after 10 days. However, you are the best judge of when your fermentation is complete - do not bottle until you are confident it is ready, irrespective of what it says in the instructions.

2. If you add the pellets towards the end of fermentation (as airlock activity is slowing down, which would roughly be day 5 as per the instructions) then there will be sufficient CO2 in the headspace of the fermenter to limit the amount of oxygen being introduced. Any oxygen that is introduced will then be absorbed by the yeast, as they will still be active.

3. No need to do anything different with regards to bottling. If you normally bottle straight from the fermenter, then you'll be fine doing it with this kit.

Don't forget to put the little sock over the syphon inside the fermenter when you bottle or you will get hop bits in your beer. Apologies if I'm stating the blindingly obvious but I'd rather that that have anyone risk (possibly) mucking their beer up

Cheers Tom

Latest posts

Back