Fermenting Vessels

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jambanks

Reaction score
Has anyone used these for primary fermenting, am planning on getting one, seems easier than getting the bucket ones and cutting hole in lid for airlock. Anyone think of any differences they will cause. I.E maybe more prone to germs with being a screw on lid.

4160_1.jpg

That will be fine. I have used one for years. Don't get too hung up about airlocks though - I currently use a bucket type with no airlock and just leave the lid cracked open a tad - no problem :thumb:

Unless of course you ferment somewhere teaming with creepy crawlies that might venture in - in which case an airlock might be a good idea.

Either way, that fermenter will be fine :cheers:

Cheers eskimo, i just used the bucket type on my first AG and the beer escaped, no harm done but a right pain to clean up lol. so am thinking of the barrel type fv and add a blow off tube to the pre cut hole.

jambanks said:
Cheers eskimo, i just used the bucket type on my first AG and the beer escaped, no harm done but a right pain to clean up lol. so am thinking of the barrel type fv and add a blow off tube to the pre cut hole.
Just sit FV on a plastic tray then you just wipe away

Just slightly off topic, I've got 2 of those Young's fermenters which I use for wine. Both came from the same branch of Wilkinson's. I like them, the screw top is not a problem and the neck is wide enough for you to get your arm in if there are any stubborn marks. I bought the first one a few months ago for £9.99 but now the VAT rate has changed back from 15% to 17.5%

By my reckoning, £9.99 + 2.5% = £10.24, so of course now they are £10.99 :wha:

Was the whole VAT change thing just a scam to sneak an extra quid onto everything? :evil:

I haven't used one for beer, yet. My beer goes into a 30L bucket with a fly-tight but not gas-tight lid. However, I think they would be ideally suited to the purpose.

Moley said:
By my reckoning, £9.99 + 2.5% = £10.24, so of course now they are £10.99 :wha:

Was the whole VAT change thing just a scam to sneak an extra quid onto everything? :evil: [/quote

You don't miss a thing do you Moley !! :clap: :clap: ]

I use that one all the time for my beer (its the only one I have). Apart from needing a long arm to get in and clean I'd also recommend you get yourself a tap to make bottling/transfer alittle easier as syphoning is a pain
tap and bottler

why do clickys never work for me ? :hmm:

Latest posts

Back