fermenting temp.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geoff Norwich

Reaction score
Hi there am making a WoodFordes Norfolk nog.
Its the premium kit with two tins.

Have started it and its fermenting at 24degrees. Box says about 20 to 21.

Should I try and cool it or continue on.

I'm probably getting ahead of myself here but is it better to use Ann inverted sugar such as golden syrup to prime the pressure barrel our stick to normal sugar

Geoff

I'd try to get it a bit cooler, 18-20 C is probably your ideal temp. 24 might be ok but it's on the edge of creating some unwanted flavours.

Normal sugar will be fine in your barrel.

If that is the temp of the beer then I would definitely try and cool it. Put it in a water bath with wet towels draped over it. If the towels are in the water as well then the wicking effect will help cool the beer.

The other option is to move it somewhere cooler, concrete floors are good as they act as a heat sink.

:thumb: :thumb:

Try to keep it under 25. One of my 2 attempts at the kit reached 26-27 in the first week, Had a bunch of different off-flavours :sick:

All my ales tend to ferment in about 18-24 tho, and in my experience it works well with most ales...

Over 22 and you are in dangerous territory 24 will definitely give you solventy flavours which you certainly don't want. However it is the start of the fermentation which is most critical as this is when the precursors of Fusels alcohols are formed. And don't forget fermentation is exothermic it produces its own heat.

Cheers guys,

Got it out of the room it was in and into the spare with no heating on. has come down nicely.

Geoff Norwich said:
Cheers guys,

Got it out of the room it was in and into the spare with no heating on. has come down nicely.

Heating!!!!! Where in the world are you?

I pretty much ruined my Woodsford Wherry from having it at 25C for the first few days, now it tastes of burnt toast!

Latest posts

Back