Fermenting Bucket Scratched

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wezil said:
Hi, the air will still be above the water the angle of it dosen't matter and will pour out of the bottle if the lids not on!! (thats gravity)! Unless you introduce centrifigaul force (spin it at high speed). And yes our pores are larger than individual water molecules, which consist of 2 hydrogen ions and 1 oxygen in it's pure form, however they clump together to form a larger whole (atoms protons,neutrons etc, attracting to each other). Thus being unable to penertrate our skin or leak out unless through special sweat glands, a bit like gortex fabric! It also takes a lot of energy to seperate the molecules, hence why it is so difficult/expensive to make hydrogen from water! I hope this answers your questions (as my head hurts now, let alone my fingers) :rofl:

Have you never turned a bottle upside down with a beermat on top, removed the beermat and keep the contents from coming out by keeping it flat? We did it all the time as kids.

I'm definitely not convinced by your reasoning. I've not had any issues with little scratches, and I doubt they would harbour enough bacteria to scupper a healthy yeast, but my point is purely on the contrary to your thinking.

Surface tension is on the surface of the water regardless of gravity and angle. It's the reason filling a bucket with water will see bubbles cling to scratches. This can be seen easily if you key perspex and submerge it in water.

The Brewferm one is good value, it comes with a tap and demijon and the lid snaps shut all round. The tap needs to be turned upside down during fermentation or it will fowl on the floor.

You can also get a bottling attachment for it, will be using mine for the first time tonight if you want some feed back on it

Latest posts

Back