fermentation rate for ginger beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tan

Reaction score
hi. i am first timer trying to get some advice as i'm worried my ferm rate is too low. i will type recipe below.
ferm rate (hydrometer readings):

day0 1.062(estimate)
day1 ?
day2 1.054
day3 1.044
day4 1.042
day5 1.041
day6 1.040
day7 1.038
day8 1.036
day9 1.032 (updated since first post from here(post 'edited'))
day10 1.032(morn.coldnite?)
dat11 1.030
day12 1.027
day14m 23
day16 22 nut
day17 16 nut 21no nut
even if i hadn't put so much sugar in this rate of ferming seems very slow to me. or is it nothing unusual, but i need to have more patience?

recipe:
young's u brew dried active yeast from wilkos: 3.1 tsp
2.9 kg sugar (reg. super market)
0.17 kg ginger root
9 lemon (juice)
3 limes (juice) (i think total is about 0.75 liters juice)
7 tbsp honey
about 19 liters of water but barel was smaller than i expected so this was less than i wanted and i not accurate)

There is a hell of a lot there for the yeastie beasties to eat, I would have thought you'd be looking at a couple of weeks at least.

Also in checking the readings every day you're much more likely to get nasties in there, I'd just sit tight and start planning the next brew. :thumb:

actually, i'm taking a sample every day from the tap of barrel (bottom) staight into trial jar. (then i throw the sample). tell me if this is bad, pls.
but it's not the overall time i'm worried about, as i assume the ferm rate doesn't change with more or less sugar. it's the daily rate that seems slow to me. or at least very variable. but is this normal?

tan said:
actually, i'm taking a sample every day from the tap of barrel (bottom) staight into trial jar. (then i throw the sample). tell me if this is bad, pls.
but it's not the overall time i'm worried about, as i assume the ferm rate doesn't change with more or less sugar. it's the daily rate that seems slow to me. or at least very variable. but is this normal?

With regards to taking the sample that looks fine to me, as for the fermentation rate I can't help sorry.
Someone will be along with the knowledge to answer this i'm sure, my guess is that it's fine :thumb:

Tan, you have some time on your hands surely :)

I have a similar issue mine is still going some which is odd, I have heard about others brewing in a week and drinking the next. but I wouldn't worry, leave it till it isn't bubbling any more. . I rushed mine too (impatient) and it is still bubbling away after a week of so but it will stop and then all shall be well. Looking to put an aquarium heater in mine to ensure a steady controlled ferment though.

I think I would worry more about the 2 pints you have thrown away of your brew with the samples... I can't waste any of mine... (I am a cheapskate though )

Not much ginger in that and lots of sugar/honey too so that will be pretty strong but not very gingery when it finishes surely? Muddy Funker is spot on I think too though plenty for the wee yeasters to munch...

thanks guys. i can learn some patience if needed. just wanted someone to tell me thats all is required. but i'm part time scientist so i like measuring every day.
yeh, i put too much sugar in by accident. does taste gingery tho, but i think i would prefer more spicyness so more next time.
is a steady temperature more important, or getting some warm hours in the afternoon?

Not that I know much but I think the steady temp is best, consistency seems to be pretty darn important. Definitely getting a aquarium heater for mine... means I can go all winter :D

I am surprised at the ginger level... Mine is seems pretty watery but has everything else , kick and bubble and taste... yours?

mine was really good for quick taste last week when it was low abv. but at weekend i had couple of glasses and got the sticky sugary feel of it. it needed to complete, and then i'll give to someone who wants 8% beer.
you mean literally an aquarium heater? you can buy brew heaters for same price. but they probably same thing.
i think i'll just get some insulation on the barrel. indoors should be fine for winter with that (i guess).

I just tasted mine and it tasting more like horse **** than I would dare to admit, I think I have buggered it?

But yeah the aquarium heaters have been suggested on a few places I have looked at. I thought about the insulation too, but insulation does nothing without something to generate the heat...

I really havent got that sugary thing to it... God knows what I have done, I really think it was the transfer to the new FV, Spilling in the Sterilising solution seems to have knocked it awry... not heard about what that actually does yet from anybody though...

spilling in the sterilizing solution? did you rinse thoroughly?
insulation would stabilise temperature. (it cant get so cold at night b4 heating kicks in in morning)

I actually spilled it into the brew when I lifted the FV with the airlock on... change in pressure as the fv changed shape upon lifting, real newbie cock up.. Not good....

from your above post, golder, am i to assume your supposed to have sterilizer in the airlock? (i'll need to know for next time).

Lots of people on here recommend NOT having steriliser in the airlock. It doesn't really add any value, and there's the risk of exactly this happening. Water does the job just fine.

Well the idea of having sterilising fluid in the top stops any potential infection getting through,

If you are brewing wine, then you can get a vinegar fly dying in the fluid and then contamination coming through. I would guess the chances are slim and the smart shoice is move the FV then put the airlock on when the FV is in situ, Big red is right about the vodka too.. sterility again and theoretically you can pour it into your testing glass after bottling up :)

Boiled water will work but it is apparently best to put a little piece of cotton wool in the top of the air lock to stop the bugs.

I get most of this from C.J.J.Berry who is the daddy,

First steps in Wine Making is a great book and has loads of useful tips within... you can get it on ebay from goldstone books for about £2.60 delivered...

thanks for that.
i split the brew and got much faster fermentation from one with yeast nutrient (added recently) than one without. big diff on first day (after nutrient added).

tan said:
thanks for that.
i split the brew and got much faster fermentation from one with yeast nutrient (added recently) than one without. big diff on first day (after nutrient added).

I was going to ask if you used nutrient. Until recently, I thought they only needed sugar, but it seems they need sugar to eat, but a good supply of lipids and nitrogen to breed. Without the nutrient, it will ferment eventually, but it might take a long time and they get distressed, so might not do what you are hoping they will wrt smell and taste

I am finding that nutrient being added is always a good thing, I am unsure as to how it will affect the attenuation of the yeast? presumably increases it?

Latest posts

Back