Fermentables in beer kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marksa222

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi, I'm starting my first beer kit on Saturday. I ordered a coopers real ale which said it comes with beer enhancer 2. I opened it last night to find B.E 1 instead which says its for lagers and lighter beers. I have looked online and the general feeling i'm getting from what i've read is it's fine to use b.e 1 but many people have suggested substituting some of it for DME.

Because I need to start it on Saturday, I don't have time to order it online, but I've found in Wilkinsons "muntons spray malt medium" and it says it's good with Ales. I wondered though, is it as fermentable as sugars and the brew enhancer? If so, would 500g of B.E plus 500g of the spray malt be a good idea? Or would you maybe put say 500g brew enhancer + 700g of spray malt. I might be thinking about this too much, but I really want this to go well! :pray:

Thanks for any advice.

In theory DME should be pretty much a direct replacement for dextrose, as should BKE.

However i usually add 1-200g extra DME when using instead of dextrose.

marksa222 said:
winelight said:
I would use the BE1 that came with the kit, plus 500g medium DME from Wilko.

Thanks, do you know if that would that increase the abv% too much?

It will raise it, but not dramatically. The DME is only about 80% fermentable so 500g will only be like adding 400g of sugar, but unlike adding sugar it will maintain the body of the beer. I've just done this kit and it has turned out lovely. It's sat in my PB and is a very sessionable pint :cheers:

Back