Failed submerged heater

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ACEKOS

Beer lover!
Reaction score
Hi all, I put two kits on yesterday, one using a heat belt and one with a submersible heater, heat belt one is happily bubbling away whilst the second ones heater has failed dropping to 10 degrees and no action, I’ve ordered a heat mat which is arriving today. My question is when I put the heat mat on will it activate the yeast or will it have killed the yeast off?

Thanks in advance
Al

That's very unlikely you killed the yeast. You'll might have some off flavours, but don't worry, it'll drinkable.

The heat you apply will just reactivate the yeast which has gone to sleep at that temp unless it is a low temp yeast.
I would apply the heat and add a little yeast nutrient if you have some and stabilise the temp within the normal yeast temp and you should have no problems. You only tend to get off flavours with too higher temp and not at low as the yeast just goes dormant

The heat you apply will just reactivate the yeast which has gone to sleep at that temp unless it is a low temp yeast.
I would apply the heat and add a little yeast nutrient if you have some and stabilise the temp within the normal yeast temp and you should have no problems. You only tend to get off flavours with too higher temp and not at low as the yeast just goes dormant
Thanks Baron 👍

Ps if it does not reactivate after you have attained temp maybe re-pitch, so have some fresh yeast handy

Latest posts

Back