Failed Experiment!!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

screamlead

Landlord.
Reaction score
Had a try at heating up my water using an old converted wood burner =
Used to fill with wood from top
DSCF7987.jpg

so cut a door further up and moved up the grate too
DSCF7992.jpg

not much water in but temp rising
DSCF7989.jpg

flaming
DSCF7991.jpg

filled it up with 25ltrs and cranked up the wood
DSCF7997.jpg

temp upto about 80c
DSCF7996.jpg

Smokin!! tree in background is covered in a grape vine - - untended by anyone
DSCF7993.jpg

maximum temp with what wood i had could only reach 95c no boil!!
DSCF7998.jpg

out the front the barley drying in the sun!
DSCF7994.jpg

May not be able to use it as a boiler but maybe to start things off as it will meet strike temp for mashing and maybe pre warm up for sparge and boil?? :cheers:

Nearly at the boil though. How about using some coal or charcoal to keep the heat up

you need some hard wood if you want the heat to boil that amount of water and some bellows :thumb:

images

you need some hard wood if you want the heat to boil that amount of water and some bellows

Yes you can melt steel with a bellows set up :D

Or a bigger fire ! :lol: That's how beer was made in olden days, I believe :D

yeah I agree bellows will really get it going find an old leaf blower I would. we used to make little forges out of anything cylinder shape and a leaf blower and do ally casting, I remember we got brass to melt once thats about 1000 C!

Use a leaf blower !!!!!!!!!!!
Christ........

Make sure it is set to blow not suck !!!!!!!!

:rofl: :rofl:

Your secondary air is quite adequate, but you have no where near enough primary air!
If you extend the chimney you will get a better “draw”.
Primary air is the air induced under the fire bed and secondary air is the air induced over the fire bed through the door (burns the volatiles given off).
The smaller the bits of wood the more heat given off, whether it is soft or hard.

P1010303.jpg

ha Ha mint replies guys - i can extend the stack no probs as i have loads of the stuff.
Leaf Blower??? lol no chance of finding one of those here unless i can backwards wire a hoover or something?

Had to redo the mash tun as it leaked soon as i put in hot water so got a proper connection and redid the thing - think its ok now.

on a bonus note the wine i thought had gone bad on me is now merrily bubbling away like mad due to youngs super wine compound!!! :thumb:

You won't need to 'backwards wire' a hoover....they all have a suction end & an exhaust end.
If you find a commercial heavy duty hoover they have usually have a fitting for actually blowing.

As your only looking to boil the contents and not melt the pot :D

A small fan and a bit of duct work may do it

As long as you have water in the tun, you won't melt anything.

Yes E, is that like trying to solder a joint with water still dripping . :evil: :lol:

Latest posts

Back