Element cleaning?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sean_Mc

Regular.
Reaction score
Have a brew on this afternoon and one of the elements has trippped out, only have half hour to go, so should be OK on one
I had the same problem a couple of brews back, so dismantled the element and cleaned it up with a stiff nylon brush and worked okay up until now.

Just been googling and looked at some of the kettle cleaning products, are they any good?

Should be cleaning up in an hour so might pop down to Lidl and get some calgon

Saw someone the other day who had taken his out and cleaned it with vinegar. I wouldn't be too keen on putting vinegar anywhere near my brews, but he said he'd googled it and it seems fairly common practice. I usually use cheap lemon juice.

Bought the Lidl own brand W5 limescale remover, will report back later if there any good

Just realised I've forgotten the hop strainer again, Don't know why I ever bother making one as i always seem to forget it :lol:

Fair play the W5 lidl cleaner brought the elements up nice and shiny. Had a bit of a shrub with the nylon brush and alls like new.
Filled up to the 50ltr mark on the copper boiler with four tablets and applied the heat, left for a couple of hours.
Think I need to add this to a couple of brew regime to keep things in good working order.

Also acquired a crick in the neck from lifting on brew day, so have given in and bought a 12v solar pump, well the kids have as a fathers day prezzie. Won't be a fancy gate valve setup, just one to reduce lifting on brewday

your issue is probaly not to do with build up but the stat...

I have removed mine and they have run for years with no problem...

Some one else may be able to guide you to a thread...

Much easier than cleaning :thumb:

bones said:
your issue is probaly not to do with build up but the stat...

I have removed mine and they have run for years with no problem...

Some one else may be able to guide you to a thread...

Much easier than cleaning :thumb:

Please go on... I have a similar problem. My last brew the extension lead kept tripping out, I kept restarting it and now one of the elements has stopped working. I guess it is just a fuse but I know that isnt the root of the problem.

Sean_Mc said:
Rick are you taking the p1ss ;)
:rofl:

The best method I know of for cleaning elements, (Reccomend by Tylo electric sauna heaters etc) Is soak overnight in a citric acid & water solution it will remove the crud pretty easily.

UP

Try a good load of Coke and soak over night,if not two - mind your nose doesn't drop off though! :lol:

I tried coke when I first started cleaning the old copper cylinder, worked okay, but it left a green stain verdigree.
The W5 stuff from Lidl worked well and only cost a couple of quid

Sean_Mc said:
I tried coke when I first started cleaning the old copper cylinder, worked okay, but it left a green stain verdigree.
The W5 stuff from Lidl worked well and only cost a couple of quid

I'll give that a try in the future :thumb:
p.s how long should I let it stew for cleaning a copper hop filter?

unclepumble said:
The best method I know of for cleaning elements, (Reccomend by Tylo electric sauna heaters etc) Is soak overnight in a citric acid & water solution it will remove the crud pretty easily.

UP

what concentration of citric acid do you use UP?

Latest posts

Back