Elderberry champagne

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alison Cooper

Reaction score
Hi today I have just picked lots 9f elderberry flower heads going tontry make some champagne ,
And advice can I use bread yeast I watched on YouTube you can do that
Looking forward to the experience

I'm not a big wine maker but apparently bread yeast can get to 14% ABV and for a champagne you will probably only want about 11%.

I use bread yeast (fermipan) all the time for making cider and I like that it leaves a lot of apple flavour.

I keep looking at the elderflowers growing where I live and thinking I should make some EF wine but the Missus can't stand it because of the catty smell but I can't detect it because I'm a bloke 😁.

Lots of things like this on the internet…

Yes 12% abv is a good average for flieschmanns bread yeast which is still pretty strong. But many wine yeasts say 14% tolerance but can get up to 16% with proper nutrients.

From my quick googling there seems to be a pattern of people saying , yep I do that and others who haven’t tried and say it won’t work :confused.:

It would be interesting to do a split batch 😀

Bread yeast typically has a limit of around 8% alcohol and tends not to floccolate and clear as well as wine yeasts, also chance off off flavours.
If I wanted to experiment I'd rather try a
wild fermentation, plenty of people do it that way.but I've always stuck to a tried and tested method.

What makes you think it will be ruined ?

Tanglefoot saved me posting.

Bread yeast typically has a limit of around 8% alcohol and tends not to floccolate and clear as well as wine yeasts, also chance off off flavours.
wild fermentation, plenty of people do it that way.but I've always stuck to a tried and tested method.

I've had several years of decent batches of elderflower here using the wild yeasts on the flowers themselves. Usually, it takes 2 to 3 days to get going, but it's really satisfying having something that's largely just foraged.

Tanglefoot saved me posting.

So, have either of you tried it ? I’ve also read the 8% limit in posts on forums but it appears to be people quoting what they’ve read elsewhere.

I’ll have to do some googling and see if there is a brulosophy experiment or academic paper or similar.

I’ll be happy to be proven wrong by the way.

I've never even thought about using bread yeast for my elderflower wine,
is there any reason why it would be a good idea to do that rather than use one developed for the purpose ?
I've used mainly Lalvin and Gervin yeasts for all sorts of country wines over the years, my comments are based on that experience.
I am more interested in drinking as fine a wine as I can make rather than tinkering for the sake of it but each to their own, it is a hobby after all !

From the original post she seemed to already have some bread yeast and was asking if she could use it. I didn’t get the impression they were asking for a yeast recommendation.

She didn't say she had bread yeast she said she saw someone use it on YouTube hence why members told her she would be better off using wine yeast.

And advice can I use bread yeast I watched on YouTube you can do that
Looking forward to the experience

Latest posts

Back