Elderberries and Elderflowers

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why are all the bushes near me only about 10% in flower? I thought they were supposed to flower in may, but we are into june now and still waiting. Is it like this in other parts of the country? Or is it the grim north east weather that is holding them back?

I just made up my first to batches of elderflower wine this weekend past. It has taken a while for them to come into flower but they are getting there now. I think they flower from the end of May through June so you are not the only one :thumb:

shearclass said:
Is pectolase necessary for Elderflower wine?
No, although personally I would use some WGJ instead of water, so I would add some.

Hi all,

I managed to do a bit of picking today, decided todo it before the rain sets in again!

I filled a 25L bucket with heads while out collecting, then once i processed them i was left with around 7 - 8L of flowers (i really should have weighed them!)

I have now filled the 25L fermenter with 25L of boilig water, and plan to leave it steep for 3 days. I still need to buy lemons but i will add these when i take out the flowers as i think i will dilute it down to around 40L total.

I hope to make a cider, around 6%, but im not sure how much sugar to add, can anyone help?

Cheers

plasticfantastic said:
Hi all,

I managed to do a bit of picking today, decided todo it before the rain sets in again!

I filled a 25L bucket with heads while out collecting, then once i processed them i was left with around 7 - 8L of flowers (i really should have weighed them!)

I have now filled the 25L fermenter with 25L of boilig water, and plan to leave it steep for 3 days. I still need to buy lemons but i will add these when i take out the flowers as i think i will dilute it down to around 40L total.

I hope to make a cider, around 6%, but im not sure how much sugar to add, can anyone help?

Cheers
Hmmmmm :hmm: interesting, wonder if anyone else has done this to give us some feedback on do's or don'ts :wha:

Another couple of questions i have are,

Can i let this ferment dry, then back sweeten when i bottle? I have just bottled my fiery ginger beer and hope to produce this cider in a similar manner.

Also do i need to add anything else? tea? tannin? citric acid?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Cheers

Hi all, I thought I'd sign up since it's elderflower season and I've put my first elderflower champagne on. I've got a question though - is one supposed to let this brew out to dry or just enough to fizz it up?

I've used the following recipe:
-Six heads of elderflower
-Juice of two lemons plus zest
-750g sugar

I decided since it's my first go on elderflower I'd Campden it rather than use the natural yeast, and I've used a champagne yeast. I estimate it will be about 9% if it brews out to dry. It's quite nice as cordial as well, so I'm glad I made 6 litres!. So, to dry or not to dry?

Just bumping this one up as im hoping to strain off my elderflowers later and add the sugar to get it going, but im still usure how much sugar to add per gallon to get a 6% cider? can anyone help?

Cheers

I go on a rough approximation that 100g of sugar to 5 litres adds just over 1% if brewed all the way out. 550g per UK gallon ought to do it?

Jonny69 said:
Hi all, I thought I'd sign up since it's elderflower season and I've put my first elderflower champagne on. I've got a question though - is one supposed to let this brew out to dry or just enough to fizz it up?

I've used the following recipe:
-Six heads of elderflower
-Juice of two lemons plus zest
-750g sugar

I decided since it's my first go on elderflower I'd Campden it rather than use the natural yeast, and I've used a champagne yeast. I estimate it will be about 9% if it brews out to dry. It's quite nice as cordial as well, so I'm glad I made 6 litres!. So, to dry or not to dry?

I would go dry but that is how I like my white wine/sparkling wines. To sweeten this you would have to use sweetener as sugar will just ferment out to dry.

plasticfantastic said:
Just bumping this one up as im hoping to strain off my elderflowers later and add the sugar to get it going, but im still usure how much sugar to add per gallon to get a 6% cider? can anyone help?

Cheers

What is your recipe? I would go for 100% Apple Juice then add elderflowers after fermentation and take out after taste. Never tried it but this is the way I might approch doing a elderflower cider next year :thumb:

Latest posts

Back