Dry Hopping

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike1892

Reaction score
Hi there,

Ive had a look at the 'How To Guide' but haven't really found the information I am after.

I am planning to dry hop a brew in the next few days and was wondering what the best method for this might be. The local home brew shop suggested sprinkling them on top after a few days, but having tried this in the past, I am wondering whether there might be a more effective way of doing it.

The coopers recipe I am using suggests wrapping the hops in a mesh cleaning cloth pulled straight from the wrapper. But I am not that clear on what product they are meaning here?

Any advice would be appreciated to achieve best results.

cheers
Mike

Hi there,

Ive had a look at the 'How To Guide' but haven't really found the information I am after.

I am planning to dry hop a brew in the next few days and was wondering what the best method for this might be. The local home brew shop suggested sprinkling them on top after a few days, but having tried this in the past, I am wondering whether there might be a more effective way of doing it.

The coopers recipe I am using suggests wrapping the hops in a mesh cleaning cloth pulled straight from the wrapper. But I am not that clear on what product they are meaning here?

Any advice would be appreciated to achieve best results.

cheers
Mike
I have tried everything when dry hopping and find the leaf hops taste fade after 1 month but the pellets last much longer,just throw them in near the end of fermentation ,leave for 3-4 days then transfer to another fv,maybe 30 or 40 g will be very hoppy
Cheers:cheers:

Thanks all.

I will try experimenting with pellets next time. For this batch I will have to work with the leaf. I am thinking to put in 50g rather than the 25g, especially if the hoppiness will fade quite quickly. really looking forward to this one!

I wont have time to order any new equipment like the hop balls, so will just go with sprinkling them on top and see how it goes.

Cheers,
Mike

Thanks all.

I will try experimenting with pellets next time. For this batch I will have to work with the leaf. I am thinking to put in 50g rather than the 25g, especially if the hoppiness will fade quite quickly. really looking forward to this one!

I wont have time to order any new equipment like the hop balls, so will just go with sprinkling them on top and see how it goes.

Cheers,
Mike
I used 5 or 6 sanitzed large marbles,worked a treat with the leaf hops

I bought a large mesh food bag off Ebay (large enough to tie the top but also allow the hops to expand and circulate, remember leaf hop expand a fair bit), I also added 25 of the larger marbles, I think these came from one of the pound type shops my other half got them so not 100% sure, which was enough to sink the hops initially, this worked really well but left a quite a job to clean up.
Remember to sterilize really well before adding to your wort.

Thanks both.

Does it make a difference to the flavour submerging the hops in a muslin bag/mesh rather than just sprinkling them on the top?

cheers

Back