Dripping Angram hand pump :(

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A Clueless Bloke

Reaction score
Hi folks.

Basically.

Last week, I purchased an Angram beer pump from an ex pub. It included an check valve. However from the same issue I have here, I presumed the valve was faulty. So I ordered a new one. Only to have the same issue.

I first installed the pump onto my bar top, and hooked it up to one of the corny kegs. Pressurising the keg to around 3-5psi. However within a few minutes, water (keg was filled with water) started dripping.

I filmed a youtube video on this that I am hoping TBF will allow at the bottom of the page.
I HAVE TRIED:
Removing the outlet pipe from the beer engine and hooked the pipe work onto the keg. Pressurising to 2-3psi. However water appears to be pushing its way up the pipe. Again. I have attacked a YouTube video at the bottom of the page for more understanding.

I’m starting to loose hope now. Below are 2 videos I have made for hopefully a better understanding.

Haven't looked at the videos, but you said quite enough in the text. [EDIT: Have looked at the videos now!]

There is nothing wrong. But you might misunderstand the workings? [EDIT: You've no need to understand the "workings", it's not the pump, it's the "demand valve"!]

First off: I don't think you've got a handpump [working!] demand valve fitted. You don't think you need one? But you've pressured your beer keg to 3-5PSI, and there is very little in the pump to stop the beer being pushed out. That's what a "demand valve" will fix (aka. "check-valve", but "real" check-valves these days have tiny cracking-pressures and would fail to hold back the beer - improvements are not improvements for everyone!).

[EDIT: Sorry for all that, but I've left it in for others to reference ... Your problem (and you've probably figured out yourself) is the "Demand value" is not functioning as it should. Fix it, replace it, whatever!]

I use LPG regulators 'tween keg and cylinder regulator to get low PSI ... a cylinder regulator alone can't do it (an expensive "two stage" like the aquarium bunch use might get close, but they cost £80 plus!). A Clesse 50-150mbar works a treat and has BSP ports (not POL).

Haven't looked at the videos, but you said quite enough in the text. [EDIT: Have looked at the videos now!]

There is nothing wrong. But you might misunderstand the workings? [EDIT: You've no need to understand the "workings", it's not the pump, it's the "demand valve"!]

First off: I don't think you've got a handpump [working!] demand valve fitted. You don't think you need one? But you've pressured your beer keg to 3-5PSI, and there is very little in the pump to stop the beer being pushed out. That's what a "demand valve" will fix (aka. "check-valve", but "real" check-valves these days have tiny cracking-pressures and would fail to hold back the beer - improvements are not improvements for everyone!).

[EDIT: Sorry for all that, but I've left it in for others to reference ... Your problem (and you've probably figured out yourself) is the "Demand value" is not functioning as it should. Fix it, replace it, whatever!]

I use LPG regulators 'tween keg and cylinder regulator to get low PSI ... a cylinder regulator alone can't do it (an expensive "two stage" like the aquarium bunch use might get close, but they cost £80 plus!). A Clesse 50-150mbar works a treat and has BSP ports (not POL).
The demand valve what I though was brand new from a seller on eBay. I am aware RLBS supply them, but I’m worried this may happen again

I knew you'd say it was "new" so can't be that. So was ready for you!

It is that!

Though could be something your end: Sucked up some debris that's jamming the valve open? But I've heard of such a thing. Returning might be awkward if eBay? I know RLBS (their Gresford warehouse is just up road), should be okay with them (but I obviously don't pay postage!). The ones with the "CLEAN" lever can be useful.

Latest posts

Back