Does that sound right for lemonade?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a little peak in the bucket today and I can hear the yeast working, so it finally started. The airlock still does not bubble but I checked it and it is not blocked because when I press the lid a bit the air is coming out.
I also clipped on the lid properly and pressed it down on all sides, but I guess it is still not airtight.

As long as I did not waste 5 gallons of lemonade I am happy.

The gravity is down to 1.020 and still nicely fizzing on the surface. Smells very lemonady.

I moved the lemonade yesterday from the fermentation bucket to anther one to get rid of all the sludge on the bottom. I tasted it as well and added some Splenda. To my surprise the citrusy flavour is not as intense any more and it tastes almost a bit bland. I had many of these one portion Splenda sachets and I used about 30 of them that is about 10 tablespoons.
I somehow want to boost the lemony flavour again I added already the juice of 4 lemons but that didn't do too much. I was thinking of zesting some lemon, put it in vodka or so let steep for 24h and then add that to the mix.

The FG is 1.002 by the way making it about 5.3% and you can not taste a thing.

Does anybody have a better idea how to get more flavour in again?

Thanks

I'm no expert at all, but I do enjoy cooking. Many boost citrus fruit flavours by adding citric acid, shoot me down if im wrong but could be worth poring a small glass and adding some to see the difference?

If you are after a still drink why not add lemon cordial now?

I'm pretty new to this but I've made a fair few brews now with preservatives in (boiled) and had no problems. The latest batch (which I have done before) has K-sorbate and Sodium Metabisulphate. 1 litre of cordial to 3.5 litres of water. They have always fermented and carbonated just fine.

I think I know now what I am going to do. I will add about 25ml of Glycerine to give it a bit more mouthfeel. And I found that Sainsburys does a lemon flavouring on an alcohol/water base instead of Tesco which only do one on an oil base. I will add about 1-2 bottles or so I guess. I will try it and them maybe add a little bit more glycerine and flavouring.

I will bottle tomorrow and then report back how it went.

I bottled two days ago and added 3 bottles of lemon flavouring from Silver Spoon, about 40ml of glycerine and 220g of sugar dissolved in water to the whole batch of ca 22l.
I filled 11 2l bottles which I left over night with an electric blanket on top to give them a bit of warmth and they are starting to get pressurized.
The colour is slightly cloudy and lovely golden yellow.

One possible reason why your fermentation didn't start was that you made a starter with the yeast. With packs of dry yeast, i believe this is detrimental. Dry yeast should just be rehydrated and added to the must/wort.

I hope this works out for you!

Laurin said:
Hi,
I want to make some hard lemonade for the early BBQ season. I looked at many recipes and kind of mocked up my own one now.
I am still quite new to the brewing business and it would be great if anybody who has a bit more experience could check if the following recipe sounds alright.

Ingredients

ca 23l water
2.3kg of sugar (probably with a bit of dark sugar for flavour)
juice and zest of 15 lemons
zest of 5 oranges
250ml of bottled lemon juice (contains Potassium metabisulphite)
10 teabags of green tea with lemon
1 cup of chopped ginger
5 tsp yeast nutrients
1 sachet of Lalvin K1V-1116 All Purpose Yeast (make a starter a couple of days before)

Instructions

- I would dissolve all sugar in pan with the 250ml lemon juice and some water and simmer it a bit
- boil first the chopped ginger for 30 min, then add all the zest simmer a bit more and strain it.
- make the tea and let it steep for 15 min or so.
- pour everything in the fermentation bucket and fill up to 23l.
- ad nutrients and yeast starter and aerate with a whisk.

If my calculations are right I should end up with a OG of about 1.040 which should ferment to just over 5%.

i would simple simmer heat the juice to remove the sodium meta, its the same trick we do with ribena wine and it does work the yeast will just need to be in full swing before adding the juice so put it in last, as for the rest its ok two points i would think of it he brouwn sugar is not needed try half that and increase the white instead, and secondly loose the wine yeast totaly as you will end up with a wine taste rather than a leamon taste i have been working on a alcho pop drink for the last year and have turned to these turbo yeasts used to produce a spirit base ready to distill, not that anyone in the uk distills

what i was trying for was a clean low alc pop say around 6 to 9 % for the son to drink rather than the stuff they do which is half solid vodka, problem i keep getting is i end up making a low alch wine instead, these turbo yeasts leave next to no residue or taste so try that in stead. and he seems to be liking them better now

Thanks for the tips pete.
I only used fresh juice in the end, but I noticed the "winey" taste and thought of using cider yeast next time. I think I will give that turbo yeast a go though. Any special brand you would recommend?

Why dont you try adding soda stream lemonade flavour to it that may do it, the diet versions dont contain sugar to wont affect fermentation. I got some flavourings which i am going to add to my alcho water.

Also try cider or champagne yeasts with it rather than wine yeast as others have said that will give it a winey taste. Champagne yeast will make it really fizzy if you carbonate in the bottle with a t spoon of sugar per 500 ml. :cheers:

I first used Lalvin K1V-1116 All Purpose Yeast and then after it did not start properly i added some Gervins Champagne yeast. The fizz is there slightly but not too much, despite the fact that I added 1 tsp per 500ml, it still tastes alright though.

I had a few bottles of it now and I find that if you add a little bit of sugar like 2 tsp a litre or mix it with normal lemonade 1 to 20 or so it brings out the flavour quite nicely and rounds the whole thing. I used the flavoured spring water from tesco which worked nicely (I think that is just lemonade made to look healthy) but it comes in really nice bottles and is £1.50 for 4 at the moment. I will use the bottle for my cranberry champagne once its ready.

Back