diluting

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hicups

Reaction score
Hi (hope) I am in the right zone I have brewed a IPA it is ready for barreling but it as turned out stronger that what I thought it woul sg1054 fg1004 so can I dilut it down before I ttansferv it?
cheers.hicup steve

Have you really gone from 1054 down to 1004?

That is a big drop for any yeast to achieve.

In answer to your question though, yes you could dilute it if you wanted, I woldn't though, I'd just bottle or keg as is.

You did say you brewed an IPA, they are meant to be quite strong.

I'd barrel it as it is too. As Steve said you might want to check that FG, it does sound unlikely that it went that low. The problem with diluting is you'll dilute flavour as well as alcohol content.
Personally I'd rather have a beer that tastes good and is a bit strong than one that tastes thin and watery even if it's the strength I wanted

1.054 to 1.004 sounds like a rockin dry right to style IPA. IPAs are typically bigger beers, so I'd just roll with it. If you wanted a smaller beer in the future just adjust your grain/extract bill for the numbers you want.

If you really wanted to dilute it I'd blend it with another smaller pale ale, but it sounds like you have a good beer there.

Latest posts

Back