Digital Refractometer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beer taster

Reaction score
I currently have 2 refractometers, a 0-18 Brix and a 0-32 Brix. The scales on these meters are similar to the picture below

refractometer_brix_latest_scale.jpg

I often find it difficult to accurately read the scale so I'm considering one of THESE Does anyone use a digital refractometer? would you recommend them?

digital-refractometer.jpg

Mark

that looks nice! but at £70 I'll keep mine as I have 2 already the 0-18 easier to read than my 0-45 though

I've used a digital Refractometer and they are very nice and simple to use . . . Like a optical refractometer they are affected by wort temp (Even though ATC), so you put a drop on, wait a few seconds and then press the measure button repeatedly until you get three readings the same in a row. . . . . I want one but the cheapest I've seen is 250 quid plus VAT so I will always be wanting . . . even at 70 quid its not something I am going to buy (Like the new pH Meter . . . don't need it won't buy it . . . and then I get it as a pressie :party: ) . . . I'm happy with my 0-20 Brix model . . . The good thing about the Digital one is that it should go up to something like 80% Brix so doing big beers is never a problem.

Aleman said:
I've used a digital Refractometer and they are very nice and simple to use . . . Like a optical refractometer they are affected by wort temp (Even though ATC), so you put a drop on, wait a few seconds and then press the measure button repeatedly until you get three readings the same in a row. . . . .

I was under the impression that the ATC compensated for the temperature of the refractometer and NOT the temperature of the sample.

jamesb said:
Aleman said:
I've used a digital Refractometer and they are very nice and simple to use . . . Like a optical refractometer they are affected by wort temp (Even though ATC), so you put a drop on, wait a few seconds and then press the measure button repeatedly until you get three readings the same in a row. . . . .

I was under the impression that the ATC compensated for the temperature of the refractometer and NOT the temperature of the sample.
Absolutely correct . . . Instrument calibrated to be correct at 20C ATC will compensate if ambient (and instrument) temp is 25C . . . . . not for adding a sample at 95C . . . I was surprised at how many brewers didn't know this, and don't allow the reading to stabilise before recording . . . . Nearly led to us stopping the sparge really early when making the Wibblers Crafty Stoat the first time (Using an electronic one) . . . Reading was 2.5 Brix . . . . but settled to 8 Brix . . . quite a significant difference

Thanks for all your replies.

Aleman said:
The good thing about the Digital one is that it should go up to something like 80% Brix so doing big beers is never a problem.
Not sure I can afford to buy a 0-80Brix machine, but then again the interest rate is so low no point saving my money
May consider this ONE, expensive at £150+VAT, I'm sure this is the one I seen them using at the Cropton brewery

HI-96801.jpg

Latest posts

Back