Cornie but no gas.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robsan77

Landlord.
Reaction score
I have now 1 cornie. :party: but haven't picked up the co2 yet. So i was wondering.........
Am I ok to fill with my beer and add priming sugar. Then when primed and i have my co2 later I can top up the pressure as I go? Can any one see a problem with this?

I'm not so sure about this. Cornies can hold a seal at as low as 5PSI but in my experience I've had to hit them with 20-30PSI initially to get the lid firmly seated in the sealed position before being able to lower it to 5-10PSI. The problem with what you propose is that C02 generated from secondary fermentation only builds up slowly and quite probably won't seal the keg so all of the carbonation produced is just vented straight out of the keg.

I've got a few cornies and some seal better and easier than others but whether any could maintain an effective seal purely through secondary fermentation I'm not so sure. I would half fill the keg with water, put the lid on and tip it upside down. If water leaks out at all then I would doubt that you'll get a seal without first hitting it with a blast of C02. If it doesn't then you may be in with a chance.

Latest posts

Back