corney set up question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stixy

Reaction score
Hi guys, i have a question reguarding the cornie i have just recieved from the good man norm today, there is a post on this equipment discussion by cRe called "how to get my corney to work" it contains pic of the set up, however mine is the same but missing the clear pipe between the tap and the other end of the corney, what is this and could it be the pipe and connector he was talking about that he was missing in the thread "alright im buying a corney kegg"??
Its just mine is excatley the same except this part so i just want to know what it is and if its important so i can get one ASAP if needed
Im very new to corneys and havent set one up before so was after a little help!!
Thanks guys.

yes, i gather this is how the beer comes from the kegg through the tap and then into the glass,but does it have a special name and does it require a conector to attach it to the black out post? sorry may sound very sill but am very new to this set up!

CIMG1438400x300.jpg

The black 'liquid out' post should come with either a barb fitting of a John Guest connector. The tube used is 3/8th beer line and it will push onto the barb or into the JG fitting. This info was ripped from here

Did Norm supply you with some spare beer line ?
He normally sends out 2 meters with his corny's.

Yep, that's what it's for :thumb:
If Norm posted your corny perhaps he didn't fit the tube to avoid damaging it or the JG fitting ;)

If the out post has a JG fitting just make sure you cut the tube and then blunt the sharp cut edges. Well worth having a read of the linked post.

good stuff V cheers thats an extremly helpful thread cant wait for part two! Ok so more more question how long should i cut the pipe too, just enough to go from the tap to the out post or a bit longer or doesnt it really matter although is it not a good idea to shorten the pipe inside as to avoid sucking up sediment inot the first couple of pints?

Ok so more more question how long should i cut the pipe too, just enough to go from the tap to the out post or a bit longer or doesnt it really matter

If you went for a flow control tap, ie, the enodis or continental, the beer line can be as short as possible.
The only time you need to use 3/16 line, and long lengths is to reduce foaming, when you don't have flow control taps.
What taps did you go for?

although is it not a good idea to shorten the pipe inside as to avoid sucking up sediment inot the first couple of pints?

The 'out' dip tube isn't really that much of a problem tbh. You will lose the first half pint poured to sediment, but that's about it. Simply pour this to waste then fill your boots :cheers:
I like to watch the beer in the line when first tapping a keg, so I waste as little beer as possible to sediment. Simply wait until it runs clear in the line, then close the tap, throw away the cloudy beer, then using a clean glass pour yourself a great pint :drink:

Vossy1 said:
The 'out' dip tube isn't really that much of a problem tbh. You will lose the first half pint poured to sediment, but that's about it. Simply pour this to waste then fill your boots :cheers:

Waste? WASTE!?!?!?!

I use it for cleaning out my pipes.

:twisted:

excellent guys thanks, im not sure which taps i have as norman forgot to include them so im in the process of getting them, on that subject do they bolt on through the handles at all as i cant see any other access hole that the beer would travel through, silly question i know but cant see in the pic im looking at.

o err no i dont not on either of them,guess this means ill be doing it myself,unless there is another way? just about to try and set it up minus the taps(hopefully hes sending them as we speak) although im sure ill get into trouble somewhere along the line so i may have a few questions more!!

these are the taps that are on the way, but they are not flow control will this mean ill have to have a longer line to reduce foaming as is said above, if so how long do you recomend?

mobile_tap5B15D.jpg

Hmm That looks like you dont need beerline, What you will need is the whole cornie chilled down to stop frothing. Warmish beer with on of those clipon taps will froth like a beast

oh i see so it just clips onto the outpost, ok well not sure how well this will work, where can i get some of the flow control taps??

What I did was look on ebay for a normal beer tap. I managed to get one for a fiver plus postage. They generally are fitted up with a 3/8 john guest pushfit connector. This will simply push fit into the black connector you got form Norm. Next job is to work out how long your line should be to stop frothing. I did see a calculator for this somewhere but I cant find it. Im sure someone will pop up in a moment with a link.
My cornies live in an old freezer which maintains 10C using an ATC800. So I just used trial and error until my beerline was the right length for my setup.

I've looked at them taps myself and decided that there was no way I would ever get a decent pint out of them without dispensing to a jug and allowing it to settle. In the end I went with an £8 H&G 'picnic' tap and modified it by adding about 9ft of 3/16th beer line for my portable 9l kegs like this :-
DSC00119.jpg

Latest posts

Back