Coopers stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

porter

Reaction score
Well i finally i got around to setting off my coopers stout yesterday evening.
I have seen this one keep cropping up on here and it seems to get nothing but good reviews,and i do love a stout or a porter(hence the highly un-original username).
I decided to stick to the popular ways of improving this kit by adding extra dark dme,a small amount of muscovado and black treacle,made short to 21lts.
As seems to be the way with this kit,it has gone crazy in the fv with a huge krausen forming.
When it comes to the time i intend to bottle the whole batch into 500ml bottles(that i have painstakingly collected from various brews).Any tips on the amount of sugar to add for priming?
I was thinking of going with demerera at a teaspoon per bottle or batch prime the lot into my 2nd fv with a tap fitted(i also have a little bottler tool).Not sure how many grams to use if i batch prime tho' and if i ought to dissolve it in hot water first?
ps. if the trial jar is anything to go by this is going to be delicious when done.

I just started my second one of these after the first went crazy and popped the lid of my FV off over night, spewing beer all over my garage!

I managed to contain this one with a blow off tube which took most of the pressure away and it seems to have calmed down now after 36hrs or so.

Smells amazing though, not sure I can wait months for the bottles to mature!

Also RE priming the bottles check the beer priming calculator for a guide: http://www.brewersfriend.com/beer-priming-calculator/ it will give you the correct amount to batch prime your second FV. I tend to dissolve my sugars in some hot water and rack the beer on top of it in the second FV. It is much cleaner and when you siphon off the beer on top, it will mix thoroughly without aerating too much.

Latest posts

Back