Cooper's ox-bar pet bottles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewerRS

Reaction score
What does everyone think of the Cooper's ox-bar bottles? I plan to use them to bottle a bitter in a week or so and wonder how this magical layer works to remove oxygen? I presume one layer is a perforated membrane that allows oxygen molecules to pass out but retains the larger co2 molecules?

I know nothing beats glass, but if you've used these bottles, are they good? Do you prefer them? I bottled a stout in glass and I'm going to use these soon so hopefully I can give a comparison report in the future.

Cheers :cheers:

I like them. They don't smash when you drop them, they keep out sunlight, screw tops hold carbonation (although I've found that if you leave the tamper evident seal on the caps then they don't always seal perfectly), and I've reused mine many times, unlike fizzy drinks plastic bottles which look knackered after one use. I don't know much about the ox-bar layer, or if its just as good after many uses, but I bottle wine and mead in them too and haven't had a problem.

I have used them till I built up a stock of glass bottles, But I will keep them as they are OK.

Alan :cheers:

They're all I use, I have 127 of them. No problems what so ever, and I have used them many times over and they still look new. I use a liquid chalk pen to mark them up with what's in them and when they were filled etc. The chalk stays on until you wipe them. So all good, just don't use any carbonation drops as they're *****!

I use them for cider. And ginger beer. And stuff.

They're excellent. :thumb:

I just prefer my beer in glass for no other reason than it just seems nicer

I've used them for ages and never noticed any difference to glass. Also you can feel them to get an idea for when a batch is fully carbed. T

I have just this evening binned 100 or so of these as had 126 swing top bottles delivered from germany yesterday for a cost only a bit more than them plastic jobs.

I dont like the coopers bottles, they look naff and its near impossible to stick any easily removable labels on, and they go out of shape in hot water, some of the stronger beers which has been in them for around 7 months is going flat, and they fall over easily, and it takes longer to chill them properly.

On the plus side though, they dont break when you drop em :-D

Are you buying from "Flaschenland" ? I got some Duval style flip tops from them which worked fine the first time I used them but second time the wire didn't seal very tight and the beers didn't carb right. The wire is quite thin and I think stretched, naturally I can replace the wire cages but it was a bit disappointed.

mattrickl06 said:
I have just this evening binned 100 or so of these as had 126 swing top bottles delivered from germany yesterday for a cost only a bit more than them plastic jobs.

I dont like the coopers bottles, they look naff and its near impossible to stick any easily removable labels on, and they go out of shape in hot water, some of the stronger beers which has been in them for around 7 months is going flat, and they fall over easily, and it takes longer to chill them properly.

On the plus side though, they dont break when you drop em :-D

The swing tops sound good. Where are you getting them from if you don't mind me asking?

I am using the Cooper's for now as I am new to this and do not want any carbonation accidents but definitely want to move onto glass, especially when bottling the strong Belgian beers. It just wouldn't be right to have them in plastic!

Yeah they are from Flaschenland.de.

The metal bits they sent me look very strong - thicker than the normal grolsch ones and i have never had any problems using them.

Latest posts

Back