Coopers lager SG

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davebispham81

Reaction score
Hi all.

What should the SG of a Coopers lager kit be??? i got all of the extract out of the tin, i added 1 KG of bog standard sugar and i gave it a good stir. When i checked the SG it was 1035 at 19 degrees C, this seems a bit low to me but the instructions say not to add more than 1KG of sugar, am i going to end up with a cornie keg full of carling black label??? :sick:

I threw out the yeast that came with the tin and used a packet of saflager w34/70, its been fermenting nicely in the shed at 12 degrees C give or take a couple of degrees

OK so curiosity got the better of me and i`ve just been and put the hydrometer in the FV, ( sanitised of course ) it was at 1.016 at 13 degrees C i hope to god its not finish yet. :(

Davebispham81 said:
OK thanks Mark. i read that lager yeasts take longer to ferment due to the colder temperatures, is this true? if so how much longer?

I have a lager on the go at the minute - it's nearly 3 weeks and it's still going.....

WOW :shock: I didn`t think it would be that long. When its finished fermenting will you rack it to another bin for secondary??? if so how long will you leave it before bottling/kegging???

I have already racked it to a fresh FV to get it off the dead yeast. Not a compulsory step but I like to do it that way.
Once it's finished I'll drop the temp in the fridge to 2 degrees for a couple of days to help it clear, batch prime then bottle. Then it's a 3 month wait before drinking....

Latest posts

Back