Coopers lager not fermenting.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laner

Reaction score
New to brewing and need a little help..

I’ve done a couple of TC’s which get going within 24hrs very easily. I put a coopers lager in the FV yesterday AM and still no activity 28hours later, all instructions followed to the letter, is it too soon for this to be active?

The room is at 17c

I’m not sure if coopers use Lager yeast or ale yeast, I’d think it’s the latter, so at 17’c it will be on the cooler side for an ale yeast . I wouldn’t worry too much just let it do its thing

All airlock activity stopped yesterday depsite the last 4 days showing 12c temp in the garage.

Checked a sample on the hydrometer and it has gone from OG1050 to FG1010 so happy with that result. If I get the same reading tomorrow should I rack off into another FV before bottling?

FG sounds about right but 12’c is very low temp for ale yeast. If u can bring it inside and warm it up be best to leave for another week. Hydrometer’s in cold wort can give u a false reading, and tbh 5 days at 12’c I can’t see it eating through the sugars that quickly.

FG sounds about right but 12’c is very low temp for ale yeast. If u can bring it inside and warm it up be best to leave for another week. Hydrometer’s in cold wort can give u a false reading, and tbh 5 days at 12’c I can’t see it eating through the sugars that quickly.

Thanks.

Sadly no chance of the Boss Lady having it in the house, not even in my Gun room. I’ll give it another few days and make another check.

Once it is finished fermenting should I rack into another FV for a while or bottle straight away?

Can I just check, is this the Coopers lager kit or the Coopers European lager kit? It's just the former ships with a ale yeast, whereas the latter with an actual lager yeast. If its tye latter, it would happily ferment at 12°c and may not yet be finished.

Put her shoes in the garden..

The Coopers larger beer does use a yeast for larger that has a brewing/fermenting temperature range of between 13 & 15 degrees. Your best bet is to leave it for it’s full two weeks before bottling. Ale yeast has a brewing temp of around 18 to 21 degrees or even a little higher. The can of coopers malt has instructions under the can label that tells you the temperature range to keep the fermentation at. I think your larger batch will be fine, just give it time to do its thing. With a first batch of beer fermenting as a beginner it’s easy to get impatient, I was the same. Anyway, enjoy the experience.

Thought I’d give an update..

Left it another week which gave me time to spend money I don’t have on a corny keg kit 🤫 Well 4 days after kegging I couldn’t wait any longer so poured a glass, poor head but bloody good taste.

I’ll leave it a couple of days in the gas at 20psi and see how it goes.

Thanks for the advice and cheers to the beers

Attachments

• 6A03E0BD-EBEE-4D8A-A09A-5542843737E7.jpeg
    6A03E0BD-EBEE-4D8A-A09A-5542843737E7.jpeg
    32.3 KB

Latest posts

Back