Coopers Kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spursmatt

Reaction score
Hi All,

Me again with the questions!..

I have just bottled my english bitter and stupid me left the krausen collar in the FV for the last four weeks, well come to cleaning was say "a bit rough"!..

I think I may have scratched the outside of the collar.

Would it be case of me chucking it away now???

Cheers

Matt

Hi mate, my fv's dont have any collars and both work fine, so i vote... dump it, its not needed. :thumb:
Bye the way what do these krausen collars do exactly?

Hi ya,

I think it's for a couple of reason,

1 for easy cleaning
2 provides more headspace
3 allows co2 to escape!..

Anyway I think that's how it goes!.

Thing is that I don't want to possibly use it again and get an infection and I'm doing an muntons old conkerwood black ale next with some dry hopping!..

You take them off the FV after about 5 days or when the foam goes down and clean them for the next brew.

The idea is that the brown ring that's left is still quite soft and easy to clean. Saves scrubbing the stuff off after its been on for weeks causing scuffs to the plastic of the FV. Thus preventing rough surfaces that may harbour infection and stuff.

Well that's what they (Coopers) say anyway??
:wha:

peelman said:
You take them off the FV after about 5 days or when the foam goes down and clean them for the next brew.

The idea is that the brown ring that's left is still quite soft and easy to clean. Saves scrubbing the stuff off after its been on for weeks causing scuffs to the plastic of the FV. Thus preventing rough surfaces that may harbour infection and stuff.

Well that's what they (Coopers) say anyway??
:wha:
Thanks peelman, sounds like a stupid gimmick to me. :cheers:

Spursmatt said:
Hi ya,

I think it's for a couple of reason,

1 for easy cleaning
2 provides more headspace
3 allows co2 to escape!..

Anyway I think that's how it goes!.

Thing is that I don't want to possibly use it again and get an infection and I'm doing an muntons old conkerwood black ale next with some dry hopping!..
Dont worry, go ahead and do your brew without the collar. :thumb:

Latest posts

Back