Coopers Canadian Blonde Bottling Day

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alhenderson

Reaction score
I posted on one of the forums here a while back asking advice for my next brew (#4 - still a rookie!). Coopers Canadian Blonde was mentioned, I liked the sound of it so duly placed an order. My previous brews have been more complete sets (e.g. Youngs American IPA) where you get everything you need in the box, so this one was a little more of a challenge.

Anyway, I set the brew going last weekend, and after confirming that the SG had settled down over two days (to 1.012) I prepared for bottling. Not used to this speed of fermentation, as the Youngs kits I have done in the past have all taken a good couple of months to ferment. I guess that could be a difference in the kit - the instructions for the Coopers did say it would be about 6 or 7 days, so they were bang on.

Following my last brew, I invested in a little bottler to make life easier when bottling. Prior to doing it in anger, I thought I'd better at least try it out. Glad I did, because with what I think was the recommended set up the flow was incredibly slow - I'd still be bottling at that rate. Following some trial and error, I ended up putting the bottler on the end of a plastic pipe attached to the tap on my barrel - don't know why that should have made a difference. This is the setup I ended up with:

image.jpg

With that out of the way it was time to get to work. I had also decided to bottle this brew into smaller bottles to make them easier to drink without committing to emptying a bigger one all at once. That meant a lot more sterilising, which was a pain. All ready to go:

image.jpg

I'm sure we've all seen pictures of a brew prior to bottling, but for the record, here's what mine looked like :mrgreen:

image.jpg

The bottler really was a brilliant piece of kit, much cleaner and faster than just shoving the pipe into the bottles and turning taps on and off. I had one minor spillage when part of the pipe came out of the top of the bottler, but apart from that it was flawless.

image.jpg

I'm hoping the seals on these Kilner bottles hold. They were fine for the last brew I did, but that last couple of bottles I had seemed to have gone off, were flat and odd tasting. Had been several months by that point, though, I just need to drink quicker!

First bottle out of the barrel has been put aside as a tester, as have a couple of the bottles I filled towards the end where I had a lot of air in the pipework.

image.jpg

The colour is lighter than I was expecting. Maybe that's normal for this kit, might be something to do with the honey I put in at the start of fermentation. Did that on the recommendation of someone on here. Now I think about it, I added honey as well as the brew enhancer, hope the honey wasn't meant to be instead!

And that's it really, took me a few hours to do the bottling, mainly due to sterilising the bottles. Glad I batch primed or it would have taken even longer. Looking forward to first taste in a couple of weeks.

Thanks for reading down this far :drunk:

Al.

"I'm hoping the seals on these Kilner bottles hold.
They were fine for the last brew I did, but that last couple of bottles I had seemed to have gone off, were flat and odd tasting."

Clear glass bottles are never very good no matter how tight the cap is. Sunlight can send a beer off almost as quick as an infection so if your bottles were in any way in normal daylight I would suspect the clear glass for an odd taste.

A useful bit of information is that when in any hot country never drink beer stored in a clear bottle ... :nono: :nono:

... unless you are constipated. :lol: :lol:

I've got this kit in my fv ready for bottling, I always leave for two weeks in fv untouched then take hydro reading. Mine is down to 1008 so ready for bottles. I did the kit as it comes with 1kg Young's brew enhancer as I like to taste what a kit is like with no additions on first try. Hope it turns out nicer than the coopers Mexican I did last time, proper homebrew twang, not very pleasant, I'll leave for while and see if it improves.

"I'm hoping the seals on these Kilner bottles hold.
They were fine for the last brew I did, but that last couple of bottles I had seemed to have gone off, were flat and odd tasting."

Clear glass bottles are never very good no matter how tight the cap is. Sunlight can send a beer off almost as quick as an infection so if your bottles were in any way in normal daylight I would suspect the clear glass for an odd taste.

A useful bit of information is that when in any hot country never drink beer stored in a clear bottle ... :nono: :nono:

... unless you are constipated. :lol: :lol:

Thanks for that :-) These are in the garage, in a box and under a blanket so hopefully OK from a sunlight perspective. I'll bear in mind your advice about hot countries too :mrgreen:

Al.

I've got this kit in my fv ready for bottling, I always leave for two weeks in fv untouched then take hydro reading. Mine is down to 1008 so ready for bottles. I did the kit as it comes with 1kg Young's brew enhancer as I like to taste what a kit is like with no additions on first try. Hope it turns out nicer than the coopers Mexican I did last time, proper homebrew twang, not very pleasant, I'll leave for while and see if it improves.

I'm always nervous about leaving it too long in the FV, don't want to risk ruining it. Having the confidence to do what you think is best is all part of gaining experience with these things, I guess.

Al.

Latest posts

Back