Controlling the flow of a Totten Pump

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dunfie

Regular.
Reaction score
I was playing around with my new pump yesterday and everything seemed to work fine. However the pump appears to be passing the liquid through far to fast. There is no speed control on the pump so I expect I will need something external.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Is there an appropriate rheostat or something I could use?

I believe you are best putting a ball valve on the 'out'. This is the best way not to stress a Totton.

Unclepumble put gate valves on the pump of his new brewery..
BB
therminator-brewstand.jpg

BarnsleyBrewer said:
Unclepumble put gate valves on the pump of his new brewery..
BB
therminator-brewstand.jpg

That's the way to do it Callum, just make sure you only restrict the outlet side of the pump and never the Inlet, the balance valve allows you to almost completely shut the outlet valve, you open the balance valve a little and it re-circulates the wort on the outlet back into the inlet, Fooling the pump into thinking its running at full bore, If you don't balance, the impeller will be subject to back pressure and will put undue strain on the motor, Its not necessary but adds very fine control of the outlet flow, useful when using as a sparging or mash run off pump.

Thanks chaps. That all looks quite comprehensive UP.

I am hoping to use the pump for my brewday next week so will look to get the outflow tap sorted out. I can work on the balance mechanism over the summer to get it ready for the new brewing season.

:thumb:

Tap arrived today and I have successfully tested with both cold and hot (75c) water. Thanks again for your help lads. :cheers:

Here is what it looks like:

PumpConnector.jpg

PumpMTandBoiler.jpg

Is there a reason for the tank connector? I'm a little confused as to why you've used one :?:

onelegout said:
Is there a reason for the tank connector? I'm a little confused as to why you've used one :?:

Pure lazyness to be honest. The ball valve and tank connector all came as one and was fully assembled for an excellent price. I just took it out of the wrapper and hooked it all up.

Hi...
Have you used a totton pump looks like it from where I'm sat????
If so...
1..is it ok with hot wort???
2..how did you fix the inlet & outlet because I've been told that they have a plain conectors no thread and you can't use compression joints???

DJ

Dieseljockey said:
Hi...
If so...

Absolutely, it claims it is good for up to 80c but I have heard others say that it works at higher temps. See my brewday thread for a photo of it working with hot wort:

Dieseljockey said:
2..how did you fix the inlet & outlet because I've been told that they have a plain conectors no thread and you can't use compression joints???

I got the pump from Norman and it came with the 1/2" John Guest fittings that slip straight on. I was then able to simply use the 1/2" pipe for connecting to my silicon hose.

Dieseljockey said:
Hi...
If so...

DJ

Hi I use a Totton pump and its working fine with temperatures up to 80C, I put the balance valve on as suggested by UP and it makes a massive difference to the control of the flow for sparging
:cheers:

Latest posts

Back