Complete newbie question regarding fermentation and WOW.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bully74uk

Reaction score
Hi
So i've made my first ever homebrew and decided to start with WOW.

Made it up earlier this eve as per the step by step on here but have a question regarding start fermentation.

Am i right to assume that I won't get vigorous fermentation right from the off and that it will take some time before it starts really bubbling away through my airlock ?

As ive never done it before I really don't know what to expect. What I have found is that I keep going out to the DJ and staring at it !!!!!

So long as you're getting some fermentation, I wouldn't worry too much... in my limited expereince (only brewing just over 2 years and there are loads of experienced brewers on here, I count myself a novice) different brews ferment in different ways and some kick off like there's no tomorrow, others are more... leisurely... and don't look like they're getting started for.... several days... yawn... :grin:

Cheers guys

Ive got the patience, comes from being a fisherman I think !

Its difficult when you don't really know what to expect. Ive got a bubble through my airlock every 15 seconds give or take so its definitely doing something :)

Its doing fine Bully :thumb: .

Keep it warm (around 24 degrees) and snuggled up in a cosy quilt (or similar) and it will blob like the mutts nutts.

Any problems, come back to the guys and gals on the forum.

Cheers Neil

WOW usually shows first signs of life quicker than anything else I've ever come across, and it's not uncommon to get the occasional airlock bloop within an hour of pitching the yeast.

At the beginning the yeasties aren't bothered about all that sugar, they've got nutrients and some dissolved oxygen so you've thrown in a few million yeasties and they are turning into billions. When they've used up the oxygen, that's when they turn their attentions away from reproduction and towards fermentation.

It usually takes 24-36 hours to get properly up to steam, so I'm guessing your 4 Bloops Per Minute reported last night is probably up around 20 BPM by now and could peak around 60.

I make WOW in 15 litre batches and use a type of airlock which gives very fine bubbles, so mine can exceed 5 PPS (Pops Per Second).

Sorry aneray, I've got to disagree, try to keep temperature around 20C.

Moley said:
WOW usually shows first signs of life quicker than anything else I've ever come across, and it's not uncommon to get the occasional airlock bloop within an hour of pitching the yeast.

At the beginning the yeasties aren't bothered about all that sugar, they've got nutrients and some dissolved oxygen so you've thrown in a few million yeasties and they are turning into billions. When they've used up the oxygen, that's when they turn their attentions away from reproduction and towards fermentation.

It usually takes 24-36 hours to get properly up to steam, so I'm guessing your 4 Bloops Per Minute reported last night is probably up around 20 BPM by now and could peak around 60.

I make WOW in 15 litre batches and use a type of airlock which gives very fine bubbles, so mine can exceed 5 PPS (Pops Per Second).

Sorry aneray, I've got to disagree, try to keep temperature around 20C.

Moley thanks for the reply.

The yeast was put in around 8pm last night and when I went to bed at around 11:30pm I was getting around 3bpm.
As of 11:20 am today im getting around 5.5bpm.
There is a layer of whitish bubbling gunk on top of the liquid and I can see bits of gunk (pulp ?) slowly floating to the top.
My kitchen is on the colder side of the temp range.
I am only a little anxious because I didn't wait very long after putting the sugar syrup and tea into the juice before I added the yeast. I didn't have a temperature gauge and just assumed that the cold juice and topping up with cold water would cool the syrup down enough to add the yeast straight away.
The syrup didn't go in straight off he hob it was left for a few minutes.
If the mixture was too hot when I added the yeast would it ferment at all ?
Hopefully im just being paranoid as its my first ever brew :oops:

Back