co2 Usage

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigStoo

Reaction score
Just wondering if this is normal...

I use a co2 bottle and regulator to gas my cornies. After a "session" I shut the co2 off at the valve on the bottle as I don't want to come back to an empty bottle. Now, I would have expected that when I came back to it at a later date, the reading on the pressure gauge would be the same, as the gas has nowhere to go.

However, when I get back to it, the gauge is always zero. It even happens when I disconnect the disconnect. Does this suggest I have a leak somewhere or am I missing something? :wha: I can't hear any gas escaping, and I've checked all joints and seals with a washing-up liquid mixture to see if any bubbles form.

How do other peoples' corny setups perform? Do you leave the gas on permanently? Do your gauges remain up, even when the gas is off?

If you remove the disconnect from the keg and turn the gas on then back off then the gauge should remain solid at whatever pressure level you have set, if it doesn't then you have a leak. I traced mine to the JG to disconnect fitting, I nipped it with a spanner rather than hand tight and the pressure that I set now remains constant from bottle to disconnect whilst the disconnect isn't fitted to a keg. Check that bit first before you progress into diagnosing a leaky keg (which could just be C02 going into solution anyway).

That's what I've done - I removed the disconnects, and the gauges still go down, albeit very slowly. It takes it overnight to go down. My suspicion was the JG fittings.

You could also have a leak at the regulator to bottle connection, or a leak in the reg itself.
I have one or the other, have had for years, personally I just live with it. My only concern was that air might ingress the piping when depressurised, and then when I open the reg to repressurise, I may be pushing the air into the beer.
Hasn't been a problem so far.

Do leave everything connected though Vossy? Doesn't your beer go flat when everything depressurizes?

I did a bit of an experiment yesterday. I disconnected everything, so I was just left with the bottle and gas board. That seemed to hold pressure (although some gauges went a bit weird) so it looks like the leak is at one of the JG fittings.

Do leave everything connected though Vossy? Doesn't your beer go flat when everything depressurizes?
Yes and no, I use non return/one way valves, in-line on my airline, so that helps.
Before I had these I'd disconnect at the corny, which was simple enough.

Ooooh. And where might I be able to purchase these non-return valves?
Any chance of a piccy? Are we talking standard plumbing check valve?

Parva said:
I traced mine to the JG to disconnect fitting, I nipped it with a spanner rather than hand tight and the pressure that I set now remains constant from bottle to disconnect whilst the disconnect isn't fitted to a keg. Check that bit first before you progress into diagnosing a leaky keg (which could just be C02 going into solution anyway).

I've just nipped mine up, after noticing it was only hand-tight. Seems to be holding pressure now :thumb:

Glad to hear you hopefuly have it sorted BS :thumb:
Forgot to mention on my other post that you should have a non return valve fitted in your airline anyway, just incase beer makes a bid to get in your regulator...it can happen.
You can get the valves here ;)

BigStoo said:
Ooooh. And where might I be able to purchase these non-return valves?
Any chance of a piccy? Are we talking standard plumbing check valve?
75491976.jpg

These are the ones intended for use on disconnects . . . They are 6 euros from Stefan at Can Direct in Germany . . . the ordering system is strange, but it all works . . . and the one way valves are not listed separately but he does sell them on their own . . . I need six though which makes it a tad expensive :( . . . especially with the current exchange rates :evil:

Vossy1 said:
Glad to hear you hopefuly have it sorted BS :thumb:
Forgot to mention on my other post that you should have a non return valve fitted in your airline anyway, just incase beer makes a bid to get in your regulator...it can happen.
You can get the valves here ;)

It can, and almost did, when I tried connecting the gas disconnect to the wrong post...

Latest posts

Back