CO2 bottles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sexysouthwest

Reaction score
I have just purchased a corney keg and guage set and was wondering which co2 to use. I went to a BOC depot and they said liquid or vapour!!I said what it was for any they said i need special food safe co2 is this correct or can i use any co2.
Also i have a beer in a primary fermenting should i rack into another fv with the sugar and finings before racking into the corny and if so how long should i leave it for.

Try your local Calor Gas depot - just tell them you need CO2 "beer gas" for outside catering events or something similar. BOC tend to be rip-off merchants and want deposits and rental charges for the bottles, whereas Calor tend to be more laid back and might even just give you the bottle for the cost of the refill.

On the quality, ideally you want food grade.....but I don't think it really makes any difference if you end up with a bottle of CO2 for welding purposes...CO2 is CO2 after all....

On saturday i got a bottle from an air liquide agent of food grade co2 for the cost of a refill i was well chuffed.

I stand to be corrected but i would not use anything other than food grade co2 if you are consuming it i personally would not risk it, i have a separate bottle for the welder when this is empty i will use my new air liquide bottle for the welder as well as the cornie.

Dan

co2 is co2
i have spoke to a few people about using co2 for beer on my quest to find some locally ald all but boc tell me that co2 is co2 this includes air products

The only difference between these two grades of CO2 is that the
bottle that it comes in. Both gases are 99.97% CO2, the food
grade bottles are internally glass coated, whereas the industrial
cylinders are straight steel.

The reason that there is a difference, is that by law, the food
systems have the possibility of back-flowing into the bottle
when the gas runs out.
scuba tanks are steel and they contain breathing air so are oxygen tanks
so i dont think you need to worry about what grade you are buying

hope this helps clear up a few things

I stand corrected, but as my welding gas was always from back street welding shops exchanging any bottle you had i thought it not wise to risk.

Dan

Latest posts

Back