Clwydianrange

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clwydianrange

Reaction score
Hello all, just a few lines to introduce myself. I’m a retired civil servant living in north Wales who used to brew quite a lot years ago but that was mainly wine. I’ve decided to have a go at brewing beer and would like to make it from scratch so have ordered a brewzilla. It looks quite a good piece of kit so I’m spending a bit of time reading up on the subject before I start a brew so no doubt will have some basic questions.
The first question is the brewzilla is supplied without the fine bottom filter. Having read the manual this is correct but from what I’ve read on here other folks have a fine filter. Is this something I need to order and is it necessary.
The next question is do I need to use a cooler. Why not let it cool itself
Final one for today, is there a handy list of what other equipment I need as I currently have nothing.
thanks
keith

Hello! You probably live near me!
Anyway...a mate has a brewzilla and doesn't use the bottom filter as it caused him problems.
Cooling...yes you can do what's known as "no chill"...you could put the wort in your fv and put the lid on or get a no chill cube (big Jerry can) and use that.
Other equipment...
A big spoon/ paddle.
Scales...to weigh malt,hops and water additions/ salts if your doing that.
Cleaner and sanitiser.
A book...if recipes is handy but not essential. Most of us got "the Bible"..Greg Hughes,Homebrew Beer.
A hydrometer!
Two fermentation vessels...one simply isn't enough!
Bottling or kegging?
Lots of things to think about!

I think that you do get a bottom mesh but it is a additional finer one which I believe some owners have had a issue using as it can clog but I am not a Brewzilla owner so I will let them confirm that.
Now the next question has many brewers split on the answer, I do not chill my brews and do the No Chill method which as you say is to let it cool down itself usually overnight or sometimes by late evening if brewed early and depending on the ambient temperature. It will save on a chiller and also water, however you will get the ones that chill that will insist you must chill or you will get infections etc.

Its your choice but I've no chilled for years and never had a problem as long as you have a good cleaning and sanitizing regime.
Ps I will say no more but just await the other replies and make your own conclusion.athumb..
Equipment wise watch a youtube brewing vid it will help you to understand the process and see which of the equipment you need to start with as you can go on forever but the basics are a Plastic Fermenting Vessel, Hydrometer and trial jar, Airlock, Cleaning and Sanitizing fluid or powder a length of syphon tubing and a stirring paddle/spoon a lot of the other bits you may be able to borrow from the kitchen such as funnel etc just to start with but you will need dedicated things eventually so as they do not get scratched and harbour bacteria which is the enemy of the brewer
Ps welcome
Clint beat me too it while I was typing

Welcome to the forum. I’m also in North Wales, near Mold about halfway up Moel Famu. I don’t use a fermzilla, I stick to good old plastic buckets with a tap, never failed me yet (mainly a space issue). I would say start simple if you’re getting back into it and then go from there.

To chill or not to chill. I sometimes leave a beer to cool overnight, but I always chill it to under 80C as this is the temperature where the hop aromatics are no longer driven off. If I'm not chilling, it stays in the boiler rather than being transferred to another vessel. As long as the lid's on and perhaps a towel thrown over it, there shouldn't be any danger of infection.

Thanks for the welcome and advice, I’ll take a while to digest it all. I will be bottling the beer and I’ve taken quite a shine to Belgian ales- they are amazing. I see there’s a home brew shop in Saltney. Is this worth a visit or do I rely on the internet.

Saltney is mainly kits...
If you're all grain there's a few really good suppliers around.
Personally I use Malt Miller for most of everything. I also use Cross My Loof for hops.
Get to BM bargain for Astonish oxi cleaner..pink tub,2kg for £3.

Saltney is mainly kits...
If you're all grain there's a few really good suppliers around.
Personally I use Malt Miller for most of everything. I also use Cross My Loof for hops.
Get to BM bargain for Astonish oxi cleaner..pink tub,2kg for £3.
Thanks for that Clint. What is Astonish used for? Is it a general cleaner or a steriliser.
I’ll have a look at Malt Miller and Cross my Loof.
keith

I have just moved from a counter flow chiller to a immersion chiller. Both work well. You do save water using no chill but I like to get everything wrapped up on the day and not have to go back to it the following day. Never had any infection problems with either.

Hello all, just a few lines to introduce myself. I’m a retired civil servant living in north Wales who used to brew quite a lot years ago but that was mainly wine. I’ve decided to have a go at brewing beer and would like to make it from scratch so have ordered a brewzilla. It looks quite a good piece of kit so I’m spending a bit of time reading up on the subject before I start a brew so no doubt will have some basic questions.
The first question is the brewzilla is supplied without the fine bottom filter. Having read the manual this is correct but from what I’ve read on here other folks have a fine filter. Is this something I need to order and is it necessary.
The next question is do I need to use a cooler. Why not let it cool itself
Final one for today, is there a handy list of what other equipment I need as I currently have nothing.
thanks
keith

I don't do a full volume boil, maybe I do a third tops and use chilled almost frozen bottled 17p chase spring water. mixing that in brings temps down to pitching temps. Note I do part grain / part extract brews. But it saves needing kit to chill the beer.

Latest posts

Back