Cleaning Elements

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MEB

Landlord.
Reaction score
Guys, how do you clean your Elements. A Vossy way and a straightforward way would be good. :P

Wipe all the crud off with a soft sponge while its still wet. Come up gleaming shiny

I'm with Aleman here and I've also set my elements a little higher to allow easy cleaning underneath.

Seven brews and they're still shining like the proverbial on a frosty night.

i heard someone filled their boiler with water till the elements were covered, then added white vinegar and left it overnight... dunno what results they got but it's logical to think the acid in the vinegar would strip the alkaline scum off them.

I cover the elements with a strong solution of water and vinegar (whatever vinegar I've got in the cupboard) and let it boil for a bit. Come up sparkly!

I tried Alemans tip first. Was well impressed how clean they came up. :cool: I think they were only nickel plated though cos they are a copper colour now. :?

Guys, how do you clean your Elements. A Vossy way and a straightforward way would be good

:roll: :lol:

Try citric acid added to warm water, leave for a bit...done. You can buy it from most hardware stores or buy the expensive cooking alternative lemon juice :thumb:

MEB said:
I tried Alemans tip first. Was well impressed how clean they came up. :cool: I think they were only nickel plated though cos they are a copper colour now. :?
The element in my HLT is copper coloured too, lost its sparkle a while ago - do you think this effect the water it's heating in any bad way if the plating has come off :hmm:

The element in my HLT is copper coloured too, lost its sparkle a while ago - do you think this effect the water it's heating in any bad way if the plating has come off

It depends what you mean by copper coloured. You can get a build up on the element which may appear copper coloured.
If this coating gets thick enough it can cause the element to overheat, and it's thermo trip will ick in...if it has one that is.

If it is genuinely copper now visable, it means that your element has lost it's outer plated coating. This isn't really an issue.

Vossy1 said:
The element in my HLT is copper coloured too, lost its sparkle a while ago - do you think this effect the water it's heating in any bad way if the plating has come off

It depends what you mean by copper coloured. You can get a build up on the element which may appear copper coloured.
If this coating gets thick enough it can cause the element to overheat, and it's thermo trip will ick in...if it has one that is.

If it is genuinely copper now visable, it means that your element has lost it's outer plated coating. This isn't really an issue.

No, it's over-vigorous cleaning and definitely copper on show. Glad to hear it's not bad news :thumb:

I use oxyclean every now and then, but as aleman said "give them a wipe after use whilst still wet"
John

Latest posts

Back