Cider not fermenting

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nufchull

Reaction score
So I followed all instruction on a Wilko artisan cider kit , its sitting at 21c for the last 3 days and still not started to ferment, this is my 6th brew with a problem. All equipment was sterilised
Can I save it in any way?

That rules out an air leak.

Have you tried giving it a good thrashing i guess you have nothing to lose at this stage.

I've had brews take up to a week to get going, wouldn't panic yet, though if it were me i'd give it a good stir with a sanitised brew spoon/paddle (i just pour boiling water over mine before using to sanitise).

Try making up a yeast basic starter and starting again, if it’s still reading the same as day one, it can’t be much else other than the yeast.

Try making up a yeast basic starter and starting again, if it’s still reading the same as day one, it can’t be much else other than the yeast.
I am having a similar issue with two of my batches both in fermentation buckets

About 36 hours after pitching the yeast bubbles were coming through the bubbler but only lasted 2 days then nothing

I have taken readings every 2 days It started at 1.054 and it is stuck at 1.01 I would have expected it to drop to 1.000 - 1.004 which my other batches have

I tried adding a little extra brewer sugar to feed the yeast & get it going. as soon as I tipped it any it started to fizz and bubble the same reaction you get if you put sugar into a fizzy drink.

Gave it a good stir & put the lid back on and even sealed with gaffer tape but still no signs of bubble in the bubbler

I have also drawn off a small sample from each, they are cloudy & smell & taste like they are fermenting but the readings are simply not moving.

When you say Try making up a yeast basic starter what do you mean.

Is this simply adding the same amount of yeast as you do at the start along with yeast nutrient or a different quantity of yeast?

I have 46 litres that I am desperate to save as they are undrinkable at the moment

How to save it I'm not sure, I haven't used a kit, as I have my own cider apple trees. I assume in a kit form everything is in balance? I have to make sure I have an sg of 1050 or better or I won't make enough ethanol for the cider to self preserve as it ages. I also have to make sure I have enough malic acid to prevent an excess of acetaldehyde from forming and spoiling the cider. I correct this by adding extra Bramley juice to adjust the mix.

It appears the aerobic fermentation may have stuck after the anaerobic fermentation should have started.
This could happen if there was a hang up of a cleaning agent, how did you sterilise your equipment? Cleanliness is more important than sterilisation, in the aerobic stage there is enough energy for the yeast to feed on the sugars, in the latter stage any chemical residue may stop or slow it. Fermentation process will kill most viruses but not bacteria, some good bacteria are welcome, but sterilisation may kill the good bacteria as well. I eyeball everything is spotlessly clean, and rinse well with hot water.

Try as mentioned a basic starter, dissolve a sugar water mixture in a demijohn add in some yeast and say, Youngs yeast nutrient wait for the fermentation to get vigorous and then pitch in to you juice and see what happens.

if that doesn't work just set it aside somewhere cool and dark over the winter and check again in the spring.

Latest posts

Back