Christmas pudding wine!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

would you brew Christmas pudding wine?

• yes

• no

Results are only viewable after voting.

Alanc16

Reaction score
just started this recipe off today, if anyone else tries it please post updates for others who may be interested

Listed as Citrus white or golden sweet wine in the Yorkshire Federation Jubilee handbook

It won it's class and was best wine in show in 1991 and was class winner in 1992

submitted by Vera Durkin

1 lb home made christmas pudding (or Marks and spencer)
8 Oranges
1 tall tin of fruit (any kind)
1 pint white grape concentrate
3 lbs (imperial) sugar
Pectolase
Sauterne type yeast

Method
Cut pudding into thin slices, place in a bucket, pour 5 pints of boiled water, whilst still hot and stir.

Add juice and zest of oranges, tinned fruit and grape concentrate, stir well again. Bring up to 1 gallon with cold water, stir well and adjust S.G. to 1.090 by the addition of the sugar.
Add pectolase, yeast etc, stir well and place in a warm room to start fermentation.
Ferment in bucket for 4-5 days stirring twice daily. Strain into demijohn, S.G. should have dropped considerably, add a little more of the sugar. Continue ferment under airlock and feed with 4 oz of sugar every few days until the alcohol tolerance of the yeast has been reached.
Rack regularly. The finished alcohol content should be around 15%.

this recipe has been a consistent winner in many competitions.

No reason it wouldn't be good I guess...plus if you get a decent pud, plenty of brandy in there! A good waste of Xmas pudding if you ask me though :p

Mines going nicely and i guess soon ready to be racked to clear ...... i am loking forward to trying it and if you dont try you will nnever find out if you like something:)

Good luck with yours :cheers: :thumb:

What tinned fruit have you used? And where did u get ur pint of grape concentrate or is it just grape juice?

This is like the mincemeat wine.. and in the same way I wonder if it would be improved (and possibly cheaper) by extracting from a christmas pudding recipe the flavours required and leaving out those that aren't (suet, eggs, etc)?

Hi,
I made this last year using Aldi Christmas puds and again this year with asda smart price puds, just bottled this years. The first batch was the best I think the cheaper puds has definitely impaired the flavour. It does improve from maturing though, so I'll stick this lot under the stairs for a few months. I've still got 4 bottles of last years left ( well it did make 16). I used tinned peaches both times.

I have one on the go with a out of date pudding I found at the back of the cupboard. Waiting for the SG to reach 1.010 before racking into a DJ. It is one of the most disgusting fermentation a I've ever seen!

Yeah it does look a bit odd, but it comes out a lovely rich brown colour in the end. I'll add a photo if I can figure out how to :oops:

Racked mine into a clean DJ this morning due to the large amount of sediment. It is tasting much oranger than expected (I did add some of the orange zest) but not very christmasy as I expected. Can anyone comment on how the finished wine tastes?

I did an xmas pud vodka - ie all the dried fruit and the spices into a lite of vodka for 30 days shaking every week then filtered through muslin and have to say its a superb drink too ! :cheers:

screamlead said:
I did an xmas pud vodka - ie all the dried fruit and the spices into a lite of vodka for 30 days shaking every week then filtered through muslin and have to say its a superb drink too ! :cheers:

I did a christmas cake brandy (or "spirit of christmas") - and you get a pretty fine cake as well as a liqueur if you follow the recipe all the way through!

(probably not dissimilar to your vodka, substitute brandy and make the cake with the fruit you strain out at the end - nothing wasted)

GeorgeSalt said:
screamlead said:

I did a christmas cake brandy (or "spirit of christmas") - and you get a pretty fine cake as well as a liqueur if you follow the recipe all the way through!

(probably not dissimilar to your vodka, substitute brandy and make the cake with the fruit you strain out at the end - nothing wasted)

Yep i did the same for a friend here who just wanted the xmas voddy so i made a cake with the leftover spices and fruit. :thumb:

I wouldn't try this recipe as I think Christmas Pudding smells like asphalt or bitumen and should be used to fill in pot holes on roads. :sick:

I'll say the same thing as last time I saw a thread about xmas pudding wine

:sick:

:tongue:

Why

The christmas pudding contains loads of things not convivial to winemaking, ie suet, fat, nuts and flour.

You would have been far better off using the ingredients of a pudding less those which are not appropriate.

Afterall you are making Wine and not a pudding.

I total agree with you GA but with a pudding going out of date last year I thought what the hell. It is now after almost a year come good. It is still dry so needs to be back sweetened but the spices are balanced with the taste of the dried fruit still there. Fingers crossed it will be ready for christmas 2014 :pray:

Back