Chilli Wine, first ever attempt.....

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was planning on re-racking, as i used to do this when i brewed cider. I used to keep racking it untill there was literally no sediment left, so it didnt taste 'yeasty'.

Clean forgot to taste it, was just concentrating on getting it racked. It might be cos im partly scared of it :twisted: Smells good though :thumb:

oldbloke said:
Abiruth is right that a CT isn't essential, but I always add one when racking as I tend to get a bit of splashing and swirling that must introduce some oxygen to the wine.
If there's live yeast still working, yes it will mop up some oxygen, but I don't like to take chances - I've had one oxidised wine and it wasn't nice.

Got me panicking now, can i just bung one in now and give it a shake just for insurance?

Wol said:
oldbloke said:
Abiruth is right that a CT isn't essential, but I always add one when racking as I tend to get a bit of splashing and swirling that must introduce some oxygen to the wine.
If there's live yeast still working, yes it will mop up some oxygen, but I don't like to take chances - I've had one oxidised wine and it wasn't nice.

Got me panicking now, can i just bung one in now and give it a shake just for insurance?

If oldbloke would add one then go for it. ;)

:drink:

Ok, just added a CT, but before i did, i poured out a small sample................. HOLY **** this is HOT!!! First of all it feels like a pissy white wine, but after a couple of seconds it hits. HARD! This is definately gonna be one you gotta take time with!!

It almost could do with something to just ease back the chilli burst. Any suggestions?

Wol said:
Ok, just added a CT, but before i did, i poured out a small sample................. HOLY **** this is HOT!!! First of all it feels like a pissy white wine, but after a couple of seconds it hits. HARD! This is definately gonna be one you gotta take time with!!

It almost could do with something to just ease back the chilli burst. Any suggestions?

Ha ha ha I'm really not sure when you'd planned on drinking this wine. Not with a curry I guess ;)
No idea what you could do but I guess it's not gonna get any weaker with time. Hopefully some out there may have done the same thing.

This would make a curry taste like egg and chips!! It was tasty, and i like my food with a nice chilli burst, just too much heat for a drink.

Wol said:
This would make a curry taste like egg and chips!! It was tasty, and i like my food with a nice chilli burst, just too much heat for a drink.

I seeeeee. The only thing I can think of is if you made another gallon of a basic white then mix together for 2 gallons of half hot wine.

Wol said:
Thinking on it, i might just leave it, see how it goes, then i can blow people away when they try it :D

:rofl: yes I did think it would make a good joke wine....didn't want to be rude by suggesting it ;)

Bit late, but still worth saying, you don't need to worry about the CT, many brewers don't use them at all, I don't and I haven't had any problems yet. The only real problem with it is if it hasn't fully fermented out and you end up having the wine fermenting in the bomb, I mean bottle. But with such the hydrometer reading you had that isn't going to happen.

Right, I've decided to try and weaken the chilli heat of this, but not watering it down, but by brewing a small batch of raisen must to mix with it. I've used 200g of sugar, 200g of chopped raisens, 750ml of water and the usual additives and left it to ferment. once thats done and racked, i'll mix it with the chilli wine and leave it to clear.
Fingers crossed it wont burn my insides once its ready to drink!! I'll keep you posted......

Wol said:
Right, I've decided to try and weaken the chilli heat of this, but not watering it down, but by brewing a small batch of raisen must to mix with it. I've used 200g of sugar, 200g of chopped raisens, 750ml of water and the usual additives and left it to ferment. once thats done and racked, i'll mix it with the chilli wine and leave it to clear.
Fingers crossed it wont burn my insides once its ready to drink!! I'll keep you posted......

Sounds like a plan :thumb:

I suggest half-bottles when it comes to bottling ;)

Speaking of which.. does anyone have a source of wine half-bottles that will take a cork?

GeorgeSalt said:
I suggest half-bottles when it comes to bottling ;)

Speaking of which.. does anyone have a source of wine half-bottles that will take a cork?

The larger size of J2O bottles might suit, they take a crown cap. Used them for my coffee wine as it was a bit experimental (it's come out "nice but you wouldn't want a whole bottle between 2")

Try adding some yeast nutrient to help ferment out the additional sugar you've added. I did this to some sloe wine I'm making, which stopped fermenting after I racked it off the pulp onto a sugar syrup. Just a few hours after adding two vit b1 tablets, the yeast woke up and started a nice second fermentation.

Ok, I let this ferment out completely with the additional raisen brew, and have racked it again onto a CT and stabaliser. I had a sample to see if it mellowed out...... No luck! Still balistic!!

This is definately one to mix with a spritzer or possibly a WOW. If I do this again I would do less chilli, not include the seeds and start with more raisens.

I know what chillis do to your backside after a curry, so im pretty scared as to what this is gonna do when taking a ****! :shock:

Back