Chilled Red Wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackRaven

Reaction score
One of my fave red wines is one that is served chilled. I used to get Alasia Brachetto d'Acqui but that seems to have been discontinued and replaced by Ritornello which tastes almost identical to me - close enough for me not to care anyway!

I just wondered though about making something similar myself. Its 20 years since I've made wine, and I've recently bought a cider kit which I've yet to open (never done cider before). Things seems to have moved on a lot since I last did anything and I feel like a total beginner!

I've made a few wine kits, and the results have surprised everyone (in a good way :lol: ) - even the cheapy white wine kits made nice wine :mrgreen:

You will need a spare fermenter for the racking phases (some kits require more racking than others), but all the chemicals, enhancer, yeast, finings come with the kit. Just add water (and sugar depending on the kit) and off you go :drink: :drink: :drink:

Pearlfisher said:
it's the only red wine which goes well with curries.

In our house any wine goes well with curry. :grin: :grin: But back to the subject, there are a some really good red kits. Some of the cheaper reds are fairly light in body so would be fine chilled. Look to pay about £30 for a 30 bottle kit,(28-29 really :hmm: ) with these you don't add sugar, just water and yeast. they do take about 4-6 months to mature but the results are good.

Having recently restarted myself after a good lay off from brewing there's been a few changes.
There's the juice thing for a start with good white wines and "turbo" ciders made from supermarket fruit juices.
The other big change is the shear quality of the wine kits now available. I did a Beaverdale Cabernet Sauvignon 30 bottle kit in the spring and even though it really hasn't been bottled long enough to be at it's best, a couple of "tries" have shown it to be as good or better than a typical commercial bottle costing 4 or 5 times the £1.60 a bottle that it cost me to make.

I can't offer you advice on red wines to be drunk chilled though because in my book, that would be an abomination.

If you like your red chilled you go for it :thumb:

If that's the way you like it, that's the way to drink it ;)

I don't so I don't :lol:

+1 for the Beaverdale kits :thumb: get cracking!! ;)

:cheers:

oldstout said:
If you like your red chilled you go for it :thumb:

If that's the way you like it, that's the way to drink it ;)

:cheers:
I'm not talking all reds. The ones in my original post are specifically meant to be chilled. Worth a try if you never have. They are thinner than your average red. Zinfandel is a rose and is a chilled one (and one I will probably get round to). Was hoping somebody who knew there wine would know the ones I mentioned.

I'd never had red wine chilled before until I had some chilled sparkling red a few days ago - was quite nice if I'm honest :cheers:

Latest posts

Back