Chemclean Residue?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking at the data sheets for PBW and Chemclean the main difference in the contents is that the PBW contains EDTA. There's a home made recipes for PBW around suggest using it at 2% by weight.

Caustic wash, acid rinse. Food industry standard practice, no reason for us not to follow.

TFR wash, starsan rinse, no chalk issues.
Hi,

I have heard a lot about TFR recently and I am interested, could you explain how you use and your method step by step with how you rinse etc please?

If TFR is caustic, do you have to suit up and be careful of caustic burns? With PBW although not advised, I do just get in with my bare hands, only ever had a slight bit of dry skin as a result, but I'm sure I shouldn't be doing it, so now I have a long handled brush to minimise contact but don't worry too much about the odd splash here or there. I keep thinking I should get some long chemical resistant gloves really🤔

Thanks in advance, I assume PBW / Sodium Perc based cleaners are marketed to the hobby brewer due to them not containing caustic? so less of a H&S minefield.

Just passed my EHO brewery assessment, they were very interested in my cleaners (Caustic) and sanitisers (PAA) to ensue they were food grade (they were) - I would be cautious of automotive caustics?

Caustic is deffo a dangerous chemical that needs precautions - but gauntlets and goggles work fine. Plenty guidance on dilution rates and temps (60*C) Same with PAA. I do have a eyewash station just in case - as have survived a caustic eye wash. I won't be doing that again,,,,:tinhat: CIP is another level of risks from blow-outs, but its fine if you double check valves and connections. So far,,,, 🤞

Still use chemsan for longer term storage, but with bottled water as we have 320ppm CACO3 and I don't like it cloudy.

Hi,

I have heard a lot about TFR recently and I am interested, could you explain how you use and your method step by step with how you rinse etc please?
I have tried all manner of chemicals, soaks, boils and CIP (nozzles and pumps)

For stainless beer kit by far the best cleaner is caustic TFR in a spray, a good toilet brush (new) and a stainless scrubby for any tricky bits. Rinse will.

Cover vessels with a towel, popping the lid on will only increase the chances of issues, that you may or may not find next brewday.

With caustic you should wear gloves. Glasses are also good. But mainy, treat it with respect.... And... TFR IS A MIX, not neat caustic*, it will not melt you face while you are reading the label 😁

* Don't try and mix your own TFR it is surprisingly complex and expensive. I thought it was caustic and water.... Maybe a squirt of fairy tooo....
Noooooo

Back