Cheeky Vimto

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right then,

Started two batches today.

One with Pineapple and Vimto (1.058) and Tropical fruit (1.054). I took these measurements prior to pitching the yeast, is this correct? :wha:

I used Super wine yeast so we'll see how it goes! Some bubbling action already after 2 hours so looks promising! :cheers:

Here's my efforts for today :D

Code:
Carboy Vimto Cider

2 spoons yeast
15L Apple Juice
5L Vimto
1 cup Strong Tea
550g Sugar

Total sugar = 1569g + 254g + 550 = 2364g (5.8%)
Cost = £19.72
Cost Per Pint = 47p

It should come out between 5 and 6% ABV, I could have got the price down to around 40p per pint if I had time to get to tesco to get their apple juice.

One of the DJs in the pic is a weaker Vimto Cider and the other is Cherry Vimto cider :cheers:

I would expect your brews to come out around 8% if you let them full ferment.

Cheers

Marrsy

I'd be happy with 8%!! :thumb:

I took the readings before pitching the yeast, was that correct?

Yours looks a lot clearer than mine :wha:

I have some sediment on the bottom of the pineapple one but the yeasties are starting to rise to the top so i'll keep everything crossed :pray:

I'm sure it'll all turn out ok, i'll just have to be patient i s'pose! :D

What did your start off at?

Davey H said:
I'd be happy with 8%!! :thumb:

I took the readings before pitching the yeast, was that correct?

Yours looks a lot clearer than mine :wha:

I have some sediment on the bottom of the pineapple one but the yeasties are starting to rise to the top so i'll keep everything crossed :pray:

I'm sure it'll all turn out ok, i'll just have to be patient i s'pose! :D

What did your start off at?

As far as I know provided all the sugar is in the brew then your reading is fine.

I think mine was around 1.045 but not sure off the top of my head. Mine might be clearer because they are based around apple juice but I'm sure yours will be fine :thumb:

All systems go today.

The pineapple is getting a pop every 5 seconds and the tropic thunder is popping every 30 seconds. :thumb:

Also picked some more sloes today from the bottom of the garden. Now in the freezer until i decide what to do with them!
:party:

Good stuff, my two DJs are popping away nicely but the carboy doesn't seem to be doing anything at all :hmm:

Not sure what's wrong with it, don't know if it just takes longer because it's five times bigger than a DJ or if I didn't sanitise it properly but the yeast seems to be floating around in the bottom 3-4 inches not doing much at all.

Just started a yeast starter to add to it once it gets going to see if that helps at all and I'm going to grab some more Neautriant when I'm in town and try get it started before I go back to base tonight!

Davey H said:
Back to base?

Do you mean home?

One of my homes :p I'm in the RAF so its an actual military base, I split my time between here and there.

My Ribema variant of this is fermenting already after around 1 hour by my 5 gallons of the Vimto one still isn't doing much at all :(

I though that might be the case,

I'm ex RN, left 4 years ago after doing my time!! :thumb:

Davey H said:
I though that might be the case,

I'm ex RN, left 4 years ago after doing my time!! :thumb:

Good stuff, always nice to meet another service man :thumb:

I checked my carboy today and it is fermenting very nicely indeed. I'm guessing it was just a slow starter so I have 42 pints of this and 30 mints of Ribena Cider fermenting with plans for another 4 different brews tomorrow totaling an additional 120 pints! :cheers:

hi im new to the forum and to home brewing but i really like the sound of making some of this
i only want to try a small batch for 1st attempt and want to try it by making it in this bottle i finished last night
http://www.ocado.com/catalog/images-hir ... 60364dec24

its a two litre bottle ,
could i make it in that using one of the airlock things you put in the top ?

now for the ingredients , could someone in the know please tell me
the quantities i should use for a 2 litre bottle please

Thanks for that , how much sugar and yeast would I add to that .
Sorry am total newbie

What kind of Alcohol % you wanting from it ? No added Sugar should give around 4-5% Alcohol.

What type of yeast are you using ? As it's only a 2 Litre DJ 3g Yeast should be fine or a flat teaspoon.

Cheers

Marrsy

Hi ,
I'd like to get about 7 or maybe more but nothing really stupid
Sorry for all the questions but do I let it keep brewing till it stops or kill the yeast after a couple of weeks ?
Thanks again

lancslad said:
Hi ,
I'd like to get about 7 or maybe more but nothing really stupid
Sorry for all the questions but do I let it keep brewing till it stops or kill the yeast after a couple of weeks ?
Thanks again

Let it brew till it stops the back sweeten by adding more Vimto cordial or sugar to your taste.

If my math is right you will be wanting to add around 100g of Sugar to the brew to get 7% provided the Apple Juice you use is around 10.5G Sugar per 100ml and the Vimto
cordial is around 7.5g Sugar per 100ml.

Cheers

Marrsy

After looking for WGJ in ASDA I found this.....

56d91a8d.jpg

Now I have normal, cherry and Strawberry Vimto fermenting away :)

Mate I would recomend it. Had a cheeky glass before I made the brew and I prefer it to Strawberry Ribena. Let's just home the final product is nice!

Got the following going from Vimto now....

Normal = 56 Pints
Cherry = 36 Pints
Strawberry = 10 Pints

:cheers:

Back