Cheap long term wine storage?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well late on this thread, but don't think its worth starting a new one.

In my experience, re-using screw-top commercial wine bottles is a bit hit and miss - I try not to throw any out obs., but some do leak after several times re-using.
Here's what I do to avoid messy accidents: after use, wash and rinse bottle and cap, and then put a couple inches of water plus a few drops steriliser solution, shake it so that it leaks a little bit (to sterilise the threads contact area) and then tighten really tight.
Now, I lay the test batch of bottles on horizontal empty wine rack, with kitchen towels underneath. After a week a few will be slightly dripping (just damp) around the join - these I discard. The others I reuse for a new batch of wine storage.
I have noticed that even the 'good' ones do not pass this test on a re-use test, and they have to go.
Using this method, together with a ready supply of new bottles from other resident's commercial purchases (!), I always have a tested stock ready to hand.

Yes, thanks for that - I've tried these and they do not work (as I later found) on all ex-commercial wine bottles - it depends on the precise diameter and thread on the glass neck. They are expensive, plus, as one poster here pointed out, they demand that the original metal neck band be removed - a dangerous job with nail scissors and needle-nosed pliers.
I feel my post might have been misinterpreted.
We are being urged at every point in our lives to recycle, reuse, upcycle and everything counts. Take an ordinary bottle of supermarket wine 75cl: we drink the wine and, with best intentions, chuck bottle and cap in the council 'recycling' pink sack.
What happens next is a far from energy efficient process because, after sorting from other recyleable rubbish, separating the green from the clear glass, smashing the bottles, removing the metal and plastic and paper labels, the whole mountain of crushed glass is melted at high temperature, before being 'formed' into brand new bottles and shipped off, transported to wine producers worldwide or here at home.
All this could be avoided by making and marketing a simple replacement metal cap with a card or plastic internal seal. They must exist - they are used by the millions worldwide, but can we buy them, and potentially save millions in wasted energy? The answer, like in so many of life's frustrations, is 'No'

I prefer not to use screw top bottles but currently have about a dozen or so that I had to use due to a shortage of ordinary ones and I have just corked as normal and used heat shrink tops. They seem to be holding up and show no sign of leaking after 2 months.
I also package in BIB’s but this can be a bit of a faff but takes up less room than traditional bottles and is easier to store.

I've tried these and they do not work (as I later found) on all ex-commercial wine bottles - it depends on the precise diameter and thread on the glass neck. They are expensive, plus, as one poster here pointed out, they demand that the original metal neck band be removed - a dangerous job with nail scissors and needle-nosed pliers.

I bought screw top 750ml glass bottles i am still using them 11 years later.

Back