Cheap and cheerful pump recommendation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WelshPaul

Landlord.
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a small pump for use with my current setup (42l mashtun and a 60l boiler/HLT)? It obviously doesn't need to handle massive volumes of liquid, as long as it saves me from having to lift the boiler when doing the mash and sparge!

I thought about using a pond pump but I wasn't sure they were food safe or able to tolerate high temperatures: "Fluid temperature range of 0 to 65°C".

Well, if it's going to be used to move sparge water then it will need to tolerate around 80°C.

I use my little solar pump to recirculate boiling wort all the time. They're pretty tough little buggers (mine is a year old now, with this kind of mistreatment). Until they die, and then they're only thirty quid so its fine.

There were some Chinese copies on ebay for £13, some one linked them in a previous thread a few months back. Not sure if they were any good mind you.

What power supply is needed to power a solar pump like this one?

I've just won 2 Hornby power supplies on Ebay. I want one of them for a cooling fan based magnetic stirrer. The other was just going to be a spare, at that price the 2 cost the same as one anyway. Would the other Hornby power a solar pump?

I recently purchased a solar pump from here very good service.

Also I have a DC voltage controller from Asda (recommended on here by Sean) and this has 6 settings between 3v & 12v, which is very useful, and for underletting and sparging I use the 3v or 4.5v settings and haven't yet used it at the full 12v.

CRoark said:
Yeah I was wondering if anybody has tried the little black ones on the first link of the previous post...

any good?

I have one of these.
I hope to have my road test on YouTube this weekend.

I use Topsflow 15 W solar pumps, which really are great. Good temp range, and stronger than the other solar pumps you see on eBay. l If you ask nicely, :P they will also make you a little controller so you can vary the speed. I got mine (x2) with stainless fittings. Overall a bit more ££ than some have posted, but worth in imho.

Have a look:
ebay item number 140959689108
vendor eco.co-op

Latest posts

Back