Chapeau Brun

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Denny

Reaction score
Hi all, I've just pressed our first cider a week or so ago from bramleys in our own small orchard. We kept the apples for quite a while to ensure they developed some decent sugar before pressing. Incidentally the trees are about 45 years old which I think might have contributed to the below?

I used pectolase, tannins and camden tablets immediately and also slightly reduced the acidity from 3.2 to 3.4 ph. 24 hours later I added yeast and nutrient which doesn't exactly make sense with the below..

By the next day, after waiting for the campden tablets to go, I noticed I had a brown cap developing on top of the cider in the larger vessel (200l). As of today I have a strong brown top on the cider, the lees are clearly visible and the cider in the middle looks very clear.

Does this mean I have the makings of a keeved cider here? Do I now need to consider racking it at some point before the cap disappears? When? Should I just ignore it as I assume it will just disappear over time and ferment normally?

The other vessel I have is fermenting normally.

I added yeast to both vessels, the only difference was the larger vessel was in a room at 15 deg, the smaller one was pressed earlier and started off at about 6 deg C for a couple of days before I controlled the temperature in the room. The smaller vessel appears to be fermenting much quicker compared to the one with the cap on it, by a factor of about a dozen burps to one - lol

Thoughts would be appreciated!

I had the same. The brown scum is fine particles of pulp brought to the surface by the process of fermentation. I simply skimmed it off, as it had a bitter taste which I did not want in the brew. As a result, I ended up with much less sediment than I would have otherwise expected and therefore less waste.

You may have done but the addition of pectolase probably means that it won't be as efficient as it should be. The pectin is crucial to the process of trapping and removing the nutrients.

If it were me, I'd give it a go. You have nothing at all to lose!

Thanks both. The day after I posted this, it disappeared, so I missed my chance. No matter. It's a huge barrel of fizz at the moment, reeks of alcohol! ;) I'm keeping it at a constant 15 deg C, but it appears to be fermenting quite fast with the speidel air locks moving every few seconds and huge numbers of bubbles. 15 deg C seems to be the best temp from reading but should I lower it? I'm looking for a slow fermentation really to get the best out of it c. 3 months, then racking it off for another three months or so air tight. Any suggestions to tweak it or leave as it is? I will start measuring it this week just waiting for a pipette to arrive to sample it. It started life at around 1044 SG.

Latest posts

Back