Cascde Smash

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All

Starting an experiment tomorrow.

2500 g Pale Malt

20 g Cascade 60 mins before end of boil
10 g Cascade 15 mins before end of boil
70 g Cascade @ 50c steep for 30 mins

Nottingham Yeast

This will be the 1st of four 12 ltr brews. The only difference will be how and when I'll add the 70 g of post boil hops.
1st brew will be @ 50c
2nd brew will be @ 80c
3rd brew will be at flame out
4th brew I'll try Graham's oxidized hop method and add them at flame out

I'm hoping to find the best method within my system of getting the best out of my late hops.
Has anybody got any comments or advice?

Photo's added as I got teased last rew day and didn't post any :sulk:

Malt and Gypsum
Photo0201_zpsa0ba8b84.jpg

Dodgy mash insulation
Photo0202_zps99b71ab7.jpg

1st lot of hops waiting to go in
Photo0203_zps6704be2f.jpg

Boil on
Photo0204_zpsf0bd355f.jpg

Cheers Tom

Got the mash on but am having a few second thoughts regarding the quantity of late hops.....

So I know hops are good and lots of hops are better but does anybody think that 70g is too much for a post boil addition? Remember that I'm trying to determine what difference changing the temperature of the addition makes to flavour and aroma.

Cheers Tom

I'm not the biggest fan of dry hopping TBH. Causes loads of trouble with bits of hop stuck in the little bottler and while it smells great in the fv, the aroma seems to vanish once the beer is mature.

Great bit of experimentation! Love it!

This is what I love about a) homebrewing abd b) this site. playing around with the basics just to see what happens! :cheers:

nice to see a bit of experimentation but tbh doubt i could tell the differnce-
if u need some extra expts i am a new fan of the hop tea method (using reserved wort of course to prevent off flavours) (speeds up bottling immensly admittedly adding some bitterness with only a moderate aroma addition but defo noticeable and comparable to dry hopping- and avoids pesky clogs)

you might also want to check out first wort hopping-definately did the business when i made a stout using fuggles- real hop aroma for the first 2wks in bottles-was lovely and still really smoothly bittered

I made a pretentiously named "Homage to Cascade" which I have enjoyed. I drank a bottle this afternoon. I used the following hop additions in a 15l brew.

20g @60 min
15g @20min
10g @5min
15g dry after a couple of days.

It's bitter but I now realise that it could be much better with loads more late hopping. I'm not that sure about cascade as a bittering hop. I have since used northern brewer in a couple more beers and think it has a somehow rounder flavour.

You live and learn.

I believe that FWHopping gives a more rounded bitterness, maybe slightly less harsh. I've only tried it a couple of times but never on a brew I've done previously so can't really comment on the difference....

Cheers Tom

Latest posts

Back