carling drinker Home brew ideas needed.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Duncs said:
H0N3YoM0N5T3R said:
First ever kit Younges Brew Buddy 40 pint lager. due 12-5.12
Just don't let that Brew Buddy kit :sick: put you off brewing your own

i wont mate not at all. its was a spare of the moment buy. and i will be doing one of these cooper ones every one is mentioning. I shopuld hae all the kit to go on and do one i hope.

ive done the brew buddy kit lager and it was ok. the wife liked it. ive a friend that brews it regularly and likes it allot.
i would say get it brewed. you may or may not like it but your just starting out and it will give you a little experience of kit brews plus you may like it :thumb:

An addition to the Brewbuddy discussion: Some of you might recall, one of my first posts in January was about how I had two tins of liquid malt in the box and chucked it both in without knowing this wasn't as Young's intended. I also messed up by using plastic stoppers instead of metal caps, all the stoppers popped off at some stage and consequently most of the carbonation was lost. I then re-primed and used a metal capper. I've had tasters along the way and it's getting better all the time. Still minimal and quickly dissipitating head, very very strong (even a half has an effect) and now has an intense but nice taste. My mates love it too. I have about 20 bottles left, drink the occasional half a bottle and mix the rest with a can of light lager, and that gives me a tipsy head.

So, I can't give a review of what Young's Lager should taste like but it was an enjoyable education. Since have a Cooper's Pils conditioning and John Bull Best waiting to be bottled (cheap kits but this is ok for me cos' starting to experiment). Soz, if I've hijacked the thread.

Agree with the comments about Carling but each to their own. I still can't get over how much I enjoyed a bottle of Kaiserdom Dark Lager Beer so intending to try some sort of clone. I didn't get many replies to my post about this idea - very offended! :(

mickthetrick said:
ive done the brew buddy kit lager and it was ok. the wife liked it. ive a friend that brews it regularly and likes it allot.
i would say get it brewed. you may or may not like it but your just starting out and it will give you a little experience of kit brews plus you may like it :thumb:

mate if its drinkable i will like it lol. i lobe alcohol :drunk: :drunk: :drunk:

keith1664 said:
graysalchemy said:
:eek: :eek: Thats quite a brave statement to say on this forum

However more l*ger drinkers have been joining us of late.

Welcome to the forum :thumb:

Not a L*ger drinker myself but the coopers kits seem to crop up a lot.

We are a freindly P*ss taking bunch buit someone is always on hand to try and help you with any problems you may have.

Surely that's a l*rger drinker?

Oy!!! That's enough of the La*ger nonsense you lot - the spelling police are here :twisted: :twisted:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I can recommend the BetterBrew lager kits, but as others have said earleir, be prepared for something more tasty than C*rling :rofl:

:cheers:

There was an article in the Metro recently regarding the resurgence of traditional lager - http://www.metro.co.uk/lifestyle/892326 ... n-to-lager
As mentioned in this article traditional lagered beer is one of the more difficult and time consuming styles to make.
The mass produced rubbish has many industrial processes involved to churn out bland fizz in a week or so. I live near a Coors factory and a neighbour works there ;)
All the 'lager' kits mentioned so far are not traditional lager I think but having said that will make something that is perfectly drinkable and with a little care will be better than most of what you can buy in a can.
I've tried the Coopers mexican cerveza brewed using the recommended beer enhancer and it was perfectly fine.

I mock every time, but do plan to make a decent lager one of these days / years - it was meant to be done to lager over winter, and I totally forgot... :shock:

This was one of my best finds a fair few years back topvar - but now I see they also are part of the SABMiller machine (since 2005). Not been out that way for a few years so no idea if the beer has suffered..

Its the sort of thing I'd like to have a crack at though

Back