Cane sugar vs dextrose vs maltodextrin. Help needed, please.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schnell88

Reaction score
I have made by best tasting brew I have ever done. It was a coopers English bitter with a coopers beer kit enhancer that contained dextrose and maltodextrin. It stated that the dextrose will ferment out completely, with the maltodextrin not fermenting but adding to the overall flavour, etc. I am guessing that the reason it tastes so good is because I have always used normal house hold sugar, until now.

My question, however, is this.

The beer kit enhancer was quite expensive, at about £5. If I was to use glucose powder, just dextrose, would I end up with a product that is as good as this? All I want to get rid of is that horrible home brew taste, which this does not have. I assume it is not the kit, but the sugar and better yeast I used. Will the only downside be that I will have less flavour? Or will I get that home brew taste still if I only use dextrose and not the enhancer which contains both dextrose and maltodextrin.

Thank you.
:cheers:

No it is the maltodextrin which is adding the body and flavour the dextrose will ferment out like sugar just leaving alcohol. You could use spray malt or liquid malt extract.

Back