Camden Pale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Horners

Landlord.
Reaction score
Starting to really miss my Camden Pale since lock down. Never really got on with it originally but over last 12 months it has been my go to daytime tipple on account of the Greene King Bitters in my work local not being to my taste and the fact that it is a sessionable 4%. - one of my key criteria.

Anyway the odd 4 pack I throw in with the shopping seems to disappear in a flash so thought I would have a crack at seeing how faithfully I could reproduce it.

Per the can it is Pilsner, Wheat, light Crystal and Munich grain bill; Perle, Citra and Simcoe in the Kettle and a DH of the latter two; California Ale Yeast for fermentation. Have all but the yeast in stock/ on order but reckon US-05 should suffice.

Anyone care to provide some steer/ have a guess in terms of quanta/ timing for a 21 litre batch?

Cheers

They've always been pretty open in their admiration for Sierra Nevada and their Pale Ale, and I'd approach Camden Pale as an Anglicised version of SNPA :
https://sierranevada.com/blog/pale-ale-homebrew-recipe/
The SN link quotes hop quantities but nothing else quantitative
However their beer site gives 5.6% ABV, 38 'bitterness units'; OG 13.3* FG 2.8*. I took latter to be 38 IBU OG 1.053, FG 1.011
I juggled with all of this in the BF calculator and concluded that the hop quantities quoted would have contributed far more bitterness than would be required for a 23 litre brew, so in the end to achieve something resembling the commercial beer, ended up with this
23 litres in the FV
4.75kg 2 row
415g Crystal 60L
9g Cascade Whole Cones 7% (90m)
14g Cascade Whole Cones 7% (60m)
38g Cascade Whole Cones 7% (30m)
38g Cascade Whole Cones 7% (heat off)
38 IBU
S-05 yeast
OG 1.053 FG 1.010

I might have a go at this as a small volume trial brew but will do some more juggling to suit how I brew and what I have got on my store. No doubt others could do the same.

Google it...Malt Miller have a clone kit on their web site listing all the ingredients and amounts but no hop timings but as long as you get the IBU there abouts I'd do the rest flame out and dry hop.

Google it...Malt Miller have a clone kit on their web site listing all the ingredients and amounts but no hop timings but as long as you get the IBU there abouts I'd do the rest flame out and dry hop.
Yep saw that Clint but I assumed that was just a punter having a guess at it. There is also a version on BF.

Latest posts

Back