calling all hairy brewers(shaver help)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iceo

Landlord.
Reaction score
ok i need help. i know its a random question but on here is a good cross section of ages

as im in my 30's im thinking its time i get a an electric razor, always wet shave but my last lot of blades cost me the same as a one can kit. (cant use bic)
so do any of you use a dry razor? if so what make and is it any good.
i did have a look online but they range in price for £20-£150 :eek: im not cheap but 150 to sand my face is a bit much

Don't do it! I spent £75 on a Braun one that was reduced from £150, and it's ****, ended up using a wet razor after shaving to clear up, don't bother with it now, waste of money

There was a good thread on this ages ago. Many of us "in the know" are using a Double Edged (DE) Safety Razor. You use a shaving soap or cream with a brush and it's important to use the correct method (i.e.wash with hot water, lather, rest, shave, rinse with cold, alum block if needed, moisturise). Takes a little getting used to, as the blades are very sharp but does give a luxurious and superior shave. You can also experiment with different makes of blade, cream etc to get just what you want.

Blades are WAY cheaper than Mach 3 etc etc.

Check out http://www.executiveshave.co.uk - they have all the goodies. Doesn't have to be expensive either.

+1 for looking at double edge razors. I'd recommend an Edwin Jagger DE89 but many people swear by a Merkur 34, check out Mantic59 on youtube for advice on how to use them and order a blade sample pack from Connaught Shaving to find what blade suits you.

If you don't use one already invest in a shaving brush and get some shaving soap as canned goop is dreadful for lubrication and cushioning. Palmolive is cheap but excellent both as a stick and tube of cream.

Personally I use a cut throat which I sharpen myself and which will last a lifetime. Its not cost saving as I have a collection of them and various sharpening stones etc. but at least they hold their value and aren't disposable items.

might look at the double razor but iv not got the most steady hands so might look to see what i can find locally to me . have soap and brush but its been a while so might need new ones.

storm in a teacup said:
Try a safety razor it will last a lifetime and the blades are very cheap.
This, I've been shaving with a safety razor since I was 19, good gravy it's so much better than this mach 3 trash.

And to put into context how hairy I am, I grew a full face beard when I was 15.

My usual regiment, heat my face up with hot flannel (run under hot tap), lather, shave, cold flannel, aftershave, walk out, take sunglasses off, building explodes behind me to the strains of a who song.

I've had a Remington electric shaver (3x circles type) for around 12 years. It's fantastic and still going strong. I think it was around £80 reduced from over £120, back then, from Argos. Brilliantly made.

I have an unbranded shaver with two round Phillishave-type heads. It goes for ages on 2 AA batteries and lives in the driver's side pocket of my car for when I've not had time / couldn't be bothered / forgotten to shave wet.

Came from Aldi or Lidl for under a tenner and does the job just fine :thumb:

I've got a remington 3-whilrly blade thingy. It's ok for a quick tidy-up, but to get any semblance of a clean shave it takes longer and gives far more irritation to my skin than using a blade. Mr Kiam - take note...

I'm also a strong advocate of the DE razors. Start with a Wilkinson Sword DE from boots for a fiver if you want to try it, but be warned, Razor Aquisition Disorder can follow... more shiney there than 100Lt Mash tuns!

A good starter kit would be a Wilkinson Sword DE razor, Wilkinson Sword Brush and a Palmolive soap stick. It comes with 5 blades, and given each should last 3-6 shaves, that could be up to a month's shaving for less than a tenner. Replacement blades vary between £8 and £15 per 100. Yes, per 100!

Here's a genuine offer for the first ten or so people who PM me, if anyone buys a DE razor and wants to try some different blades, I'm happy to send out an envelope FOC with a few different blades for them to try. I currently use Personna, Astra SP, Gillette 7 O'clock Stainless, Rapira, Supermax BD and Supermax Stainless blades, so that's 6 different blades I can let you have to try.

In going to try the Wilkinson de going to pick one up today

Great offer fbsf, might take you on that if I get on with it

I tend to have a full beard in the winter but its to warm at the mo

Will12283 said:
I save loads of money by not shaving and having a beard

I tried that but there are too many beardists, they assume that because you have a beard you live a certain kind of life, and usually they'd be right.

I think once I get a job though I'll grow it back, I used to get ladies wanting to feel my beard which is to be honest, one of the proudest moments a man can have. Last beard I had for 6 months, then I missed shaving so I got rid and as soon as I went out on a night "OH NO, MY LADY MAGNET! EET EES GONE!"

iceo said:

Take it steady on your first try and don't try to get a perfect shave straight away - it's a lot different to the multi-blades. You want to use almost no pressure at all, and it may take a few shaves to work out what angle to hold the razor at. But once you "get" it (and almost everyone I've spoken to does within a couple of weeks) you won't ever want to go back to multiblade razors.

Search for Mantic59 on youtube - he has some great tutorial videos.

Edit: Don't try using a DE with the gloop-in-a-can shaving gel/foam. That stuff won't help at all - get a brush and shaving stick. Get your face wet, rub the end of the stick into your stubble until you can just see the soap on your face, then dampen the brush to and use it create a lather on your face. :thumb:

Megaross said:
Will12283 said:
I save loads of money by not shaving and having a beard

I tried that but there are too many beardists, they assume that because you have a beard you live a certain kind of life, and usually they'd be right.

I think once I get a job though I'll grow it back, I used to get ladies wanting to feel my beard which is to be honest, one of the proudest moments a man can have. Last beard I had for 6 months, then I missed shaving so I got rid and as soon as I went out on a night "OH NO, MY LADY MAGNET! EET EES GONE!"

Had that regret many a time and its always strait after you have shave it off. Had the current beard for 18 months or so, it has been trimmed a few times. My beard gets looks after better than anything else but the wife hates it, I like it though :thumb:

fbsf said:
iceo said:

Take it steady on your first try and don't try to get a perfect shave straight away - it's a lot different to the multi-blades. You want to use almost no pressure at all, and it may take a few shaves to work out what angle to hold the razor at. But once you "get" it (and almost everyone I've spoken to does within a couple of weeks) you won't ever want to go back to multiblade razors.

Search for Mantic59 on youtube - he has some great tutorial videos.

Edit: Don't try using a DE with the gloop-in-a-can shaving gel/foam. That stuff won't help at all - get a brush and shaving stick. Get your face wet, rub the end of the stick into your stubble until you can just see the soap on your face, then dampen the brush to and use it create a lather on your face. :thumb:

thanks
did go in to my local boots by i has to be ordered in a they dont stock it and no the boots site doesn't want to work on my computer :(

I use the lidls "Shark" razor, its got 5 blades and cost about £4 with a spare blade and pack of 4 blades are £3.99

They last a lot longer than the gillette rip off. i find the best shave is in the shower, smear some bubbles from the shampoo round your chops and shave down.

Then repeat the bubbles and shave up stretching the skin to get the hairs to stand up.

Under the constant running water it works well and i get a good shave.

Been using a Phillishave for years. First one lasted about 15 years and the second one still going strong after around the same amount of time. One day going to treat myself to trip to a Turkish barber for a decent wet shave, one near me takes 1/2 hour to an hour to complete.

a few years back the mrs got a Turkish shave was nice but not worth the money as within a few hours i could feel the stubble again

iceo said:
a few years back the mrs got a Turkish shave was nice but not worth the money as within a few hours i could feel the stubble again

That's the trouble, it grows back.

Back